Fluorescent Tubes to standard ceiling light - SOS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can anyone guide me on how to replace a Fluorescent Tube by a standard 2 wire ceiling light;
the thing i am having problems with is that there are 2 pairs of wires coming out the ceiling: (1red(always live) + 2 black + 1red(never live));
with a live tester, I have 1 red always red, wether the wall switch is on or off???

Can anyone advise me on how to go about replacing this Fluorescent Tubes wiring a standard ceiling light?

I would greatly appreciate. :)

Sponsored Links
catoumi said:
Hi all,

Can anyone guide me on how to replace a Fluorescent Tube by a standard 2 wire ceiling light;
the thing i am having problems with is that there are 2 pairs of wires coming out the ceiling: (1red(always live) + 2 black + 1red(never live));
with a live tester, I have 1 red always red, wether the wall switch is on or off???

Can anyone advise me on how to go about replacing this Fluorescent Tubes wiring a standard ceiling light?

you susposed to have both reds together, 1 black will be neutral and the other will be sw. live

Please correct me if I am wrong, but you are not supposed to connect a normal fluorescent to a 2 wire supply as there is no earth.

Spark123 said:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but you are not supposed to connect a normal fluorescent to a 2 wire supply as there is no earth.

possibly not mentioned the earth? or the fittin is class 2

Sponsored Links
I'm getting it back to front, he is removing the fluoro and replacing with a normal light fitting, hopefully non metalic. To do this, see STICKY

Hi there,

Many thanks for your reply.
I am not sure i understand your reply; just to clarify, I have 2 pairs of wires coiming out the ceiling:
pair 1 = 1 red (always live) + 1 black
pair 2 = 1 red (never live) + 1 black

There was a large double fluoresent tubes which i need to replace with a standard ceiling light, which has a L and N connector.

Do you mean i have to connect 2 red together and which black do I use/not use ?

Many thanks in advance. :)

andrew2022 said:
catoumi said:
Hi all,

you susposed to have both reds together, 1 black will be neutral and the other will be sw. live

catoumi said:
Hi there,

Many thanks for your reply.
I am not sure i understand your reply; just to clarify, I have 2 pairs of wires coiming out the ceiling:
pair 1 = 1 red (always live) + 1 black
pair 2 = 1 red (never live) + 1 black

There was a large double fluoresent tubes which i need to replace with a standard ceiling light, which has a L and N connector.

Do you mean i have to connect 2 red together and which black do I use/not use ?

Many thanks in advance. :)

go get a multimeter to find you switch wire. then head over to 'for reference' for wiring diagrams

Join both reds together in a seperate connection block.
Pair 1's black to N
Pair 2's black to be sleeved red and to L
Where are your earth's???

To explain, pair one bring in live and neutral from the supply. Pair 2 are the two sides of the switch contact. To make it work, the live should go tothe switch, and depending on the position of the switch, either return up the 2nd black to the lamp (or not.)
Lamp neutral conects to supply neutral.
If no earth wires are present you should not be using any fittings that need one. (but its not that uncommon to find the earth left off in older houses, and even a neutral earth link in fluroescents to assist cold striking - needless to say this is a very bad thing, as a fault could make the lamp body live, and be undetected for years.)

PS there are lovely diagrams of the wiring arrangement for common lighting set-ups in the reference section - might be worth a look

Hi there,
Many thanks for your detailed assistance, but unfortunately I am not a professional electrician hence probaby the reason why I dont understand your suggestion;
All I have coming out the ceiling is 2 pairs of wires, as explained above; I also refered to the switch as the swicth on the wall.
There are no other parts no earth or other wires present.
I hope you understand me and would be most grateful if you can assist me.
Many thanks

mapj1 said:
To explain, pair one bring in live and neutral from the supply. Pair 2 are the two sides of the switch contact. To make it work, the live should go tothe switch, and depending on the position of the switch, either return up the 2nd black to the lamp (or not.)
Lamp neutral conects to supply neutral.
If no earth wires are present you should not be using any fittings that need one. (but its not that uncommon to find the earth left off in older houses, and even a neutral earth link in fluroescents to assist cold striking - needless to say this is a very bad thing, as a fault could make the lamp body live, and be undetected for years.)

PS there are lovely diagrams of the wiring arrangement for common lighting set-ups in the reference section - might be worth a look

catoumi said:
Hi there,
Many thanks for your detailed assistance, but unfortunately I am not a professional electrician hence probaby the reason why I dont understand your suggestion;
All I have coming out the ceiling is 2 pairs of wires, as explained above; I also refered to the switch as the swicth on the wall.
There are no other parts no earth or other wires present.
I hope you understand me and would be most grateful if you can assist me.
Many thanks

if you cant understand what to do from the wiring diagrams, i suggest you leave the light and call someone who does know what there doin. remember: you cant see electricity.

as for earths (or lack of them in your case), you must use class 2 (double insulated - no earth req'd) if there is no earth. you cannot use class 1 (metal, not double insulated)

Maybe the other red is never live because it loops to another fitting? Is there another light in the same room? Didn't you see which wire went where when you removed the old flourescent??

Can't make it any simpler.
- as per my description
the wiring it describes
red to red, and nothing else..
connect new lamp between the two blacks (the black associated with the switch is live, the other one, associated with the constant live supply is the neutral)

If this makes no sense, not wishing to be offensive, you need to get someone who understands circuits rather more than yourself to help you - perhaps show them these posts - anyone who goes "aha, I recognise loop-in wiring" can do it. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back