Swapping a fluorescent tube for a spotlight unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I have bought a circular 5 spotlight unit which I am hoping to use to replace a fluorescent tube. I need some advice about wiring.
The unit I have bought has input connectors for live and neutral.
Having removed the fluorescent light fitting from the ceiling I have the cable from the switch (live, neutral and earth) and three more cables from the mains supply, each with live, neutral and earth.
So, can the spotlight unit I have bought be used in this situation and, if so, how to wire it up correctly.
Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 301
Sponsored Links
What you will have is the permanent lives (live loop) these are not directly connected to the light fitting. So may need a suitable connector, if one has not been provided.

Then you will have neutral loop, which are all connected to the light fittings neutral.
Then you will have the switch line, this could be coloured the same as the neutral, so that needs to be identified. This is connected to the live on the light fitting.
Then you will be left with the CPC (AKA earth). These are all connected together at the earth terminal of the fitting. It is important if you have a class I fitting that the CPC is proved to be in the circuit.

A picture of the existing cables could be helpful, as you only have a connector that also for two cores to be terminated. You will need to do some work on connecting the neutrals via separate connector linked to the fitting.

only the SWITCHED live and neutral conductors go to the fitting if it is double insulated ,which is what it appears to be in pic. but what is the metal bar in the pic ,is that part of the fitting ? is it going in bathroom by any chance ? and when you took out the old fitting did you identify the switched live conductor ?

Sponsored Links
What you will have is the permanent lives (live loop) these are not directly connected to the light fitting. So may need a suitable connector, if one has not been provided.

Then you will have neutral loop, which are all connected to the light fittings neutral.
Then you will have the switch line, this could be coloured the same as the neutral, so that needs to be identified. This is connected to the live on the light fitting.
Then you will be left with the CPC (AKA earth). These are all connected together at the earth terminal of the fitting. It is important if you have a class I fitting that the CPC is proved to be in the circuit.
Richard - only do all of that if you are OK with waiting until after you have done all that to discover that replacing a fluorescent tube with a bunch of torches was a serious mistake.

Better to realise that now, return the light you bought, and look for something which does the same job that a fluorescent tube does.

There are two problems re trying to keep the Wiki up to date:
  1. It's a joyless task, so poor are the facilities offered by the new one.
  2. People need to jump through an extra hoop of getting authorised to make changes.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back