Fitting a free standing bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve been putting this off for 2years but now i’m Getting ear ache.

Which trap should I use and how do I make sure the feet are all in the right place when I can’t see them?

Thanks

AB607F46-B237-498D-8838-763D758FC732.jpeg

B44B76A4-3844-49C2-BA47-3D7AAB77A597.jpeg

Sponsored Links
check the floor for level then adjust the feet to the bath edge height + say 3-4 mm with a straightedge across the bottom - assuming the floor is level the bath will just sit on the feet and leave a 3-4 mm gap round the edge for silicone- then the weight will be taken on the feet not the edge. As to the trap you'll need to cut a big hole in those tiles centered on the waste and see what's under - joists etc. Then work out where the waste is going - to inside soil pipe, or outside to wherever. Then post pics and see what is suggested here. It'll either be a deep seal tubular trap or a Hep V O waste valve, or if you're in an old place with wastes going out into a hopper you could get away with a shallow seal trap.

Did you not get a flexible waste/trap along with it? Should really come with a 40mm waste connector/trap & long flexi pipe to allow it to be raised at one side as in your pic, allows you to connect to the waste pipe and then sit it back down, unless you can access from below, say if it's on a plinth.

Another trick is once it's ready to go down on the floor it may slide about if it's a light one, it may need a little silicone on the feet and allowed to set.

As Nige says Ian, then lightly mark the position of the feet with a pencil on the bottom of the bath and when it's in place slide an A4 sheet of paper under where the feet are that will tell you they are all in contact with the floor, and don't forget to do up the backnuts.:)

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for the advice.

Noting came with it but I have a deep P-trap in a hole in the floor and it does have a bit of up and down movement. I bought a 50mm extension for it today so could maybe stick it in some 2x2 and tighten the not.

I’ll leave the legs low, check with paper and silicone to stop it moving (y)

Did you not get a flexible waste/trap along with it? Should really come with a 40mm waste connector/trap & long flexi pipe to allow it to be raised at one side as in your pic, allows you to connect to the waste pipe and then sit it back down,

Do you mean actually make the trap out of one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-flexcon2-ln-flexible-connector-white-40-x-450mm/4553v

I can’t get my hand under to tighten the 50mm riser I got, unless I lift the bath up by 3.5inch but then there isn’t enough movement to lift the trap to the waste.

D361BF63-2432-47A2-9BD7-D31F500718EE.jpeg

C8BC9C46-6574-4B39-9B5F-C9285AAF36E7.jpeg

Should be installed before the floor is tiled to allow access thru hatch cut in floor . You will need a larger hole in floor for room to use a flexible connection.
Can you access thru ceiling from below?

No, I got someone with smaller arms to try but it’s not fully tight.

My hole is quite big :confused:

I might cut a bit of the bath off the back where you can’t see it.

Actually, I think it’s ok now. Managed to lift one end up by 2inch and my missus could just get her hand on the nuts :)

Last edited:
I might cut a bit off the bath off the back where you can’t see it.

Actually, I think it’s ok now. Managed to lift one end up by 2inch and my missus could just get her hand on the nuts :)
You (*your mrs.) needs a boa strapwrench :idea:

I’ve got a McAlpine flexible joint now. It will fit into the outlet of the trap and then onto my waste pipe.

I looked at a Toolstation Wirquin flexi trap, it looked like something from a joke shop, cheap and nasty.

Usually it's something like this, it's like a trap without a dip tube in it and that screws onto the waste, then fit that into a running or waterless trap while the bath is lifted on it's edge.

images

I’ve finally managed it!!!

I fitted the flexi joint onto the trap and it still leaked. I ended up getting ****ed off so sawed the trap in half and found the nut was ****ed.

0F20827E-64EC-444D-A140-5423E6492F26.jpeg

Went and got a new trap, could fit it easier with the flexi, tested it for 30 minutes and no leaks :)

That’s the old trap but same setup, that was a Polypipe and the new one a Mcalpine:
DF0801CA-6ADF-4FC7-AC00-032424841DC7.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back