Fitting a gauge in a dash

Ed China from wheeler dealers modified a Ford pop custom car by fibreglassing around a flower pot to house rear lights. Quite simple to do.

However, I'd be tempted to visit a few cheap kitchen ware depts and buy a stainless steel container that fits the gauge. Then modify it.

You could wrap the dash with a fake carbon fibre etc

Sponsored Links
Trying to make 2 tapered mounting wedges is not going to be easy ...... having a new panel made is starting to sound more sensible. Other than printing anybody know of home machinists who can machine plastic - can then compare prices.
On 3D printing when I saw an example you could see loads of individual layers ... is that not the case with professional systems and finhs would be smooth

what about a piece of laminate flooring to contrast the rest of the dash? I'd avoid metal incase it screws up your compass or corrodes.

Maybe a piece of nylon ...... can 3D printing be done in any colour ? ..... ask as all pictures seem to be an off-white or green

Sponsored Links
what about a piece of laminate flooring to contrast the rest of the dash? I'd avoid metal in case it screws up your compass or corrodes.
laminate flooring would fail in salt water environment, would be the edges are the issue. The boat manufacturer has used a matt black plastic material (injection moulded I think)

Another option is to use vacform.
Mock up a copy of a negative mold- adding the housing. Plaster might work
Wood would work if that's your material

Ideally use someone with access to a machine - schools/colleges?
Take advice from whoever would do it for you and use a thick plastic

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back