Fitting a hardwood frame

S

SaladFingers

I've decided to go with hardwood.

I've seen this kit http://www.wickes.co.uk/premium-hardwood-door-frame/invt/155326/

Has a cill, can I position that cill for open outwards?

Also can you give me a few tips and hints for fitting a frame? I know to use packers and levels, but in particular I'd like to know how I'd go best at securing the cill or do I just fix the sides only into the opening?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
i know certain kits can be fixed in or out.
when i do these i glue and screw from underneath.
fair play for thinking of having a go,but seriously think can you make a good job or not,and do you have the correct kit or knowledge to do the job.
only asking because at that price if you muck it up goner cost you twice as much. ;)

I've moved jambs and rehung doors before, just never started from scratch with a frame. I can't imagine it being hard (quite capable of using levels and chisels etc), but were after pointers.

Not so many in the know, I hoped this would be the place to ask.

Anyway hopefully someone will know this. Since most external frames seem to be open in, can I move the cill around to make it open out or is there more to that?

Sponsored Links
ok you have the knowledge and sense to do the job.

then yes as i have said already glue and screw the cill to the stiles.
pre drill the cill,that kit does look to be universal so it should be ok to fit together either way.
i always fit the hanging side 1st and then temp fit other side,hand door and then pack out as needed.
as its a external door frame if you confident you can fix both sides.
think the main reason they open in is so the door cannot be jemmied out.
obviously you know you have to fit a 5 lever mortice lock and not relie on a night latch.
just take your time and make sure its doesnt go in-wind and make sure its level and plumb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back