Fitting a kitchen - the corner is not square

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

new here, but a bit of a lurker...

I am just about to start fitting a kitchen.
It is in a new extension on an old building

the floor is flat and smooth as a billiard table
the walls are perfectly plumb

however,
the corner is not square.

I asked for it square, but I have 'fallen out' with the builder, he's away, and thankfully not returning!

The wall 'steps out' roughly 50mm over 2.0m

The units sit squarely, so if i scribe my worktop to that, it is going to look dreadful.

Any hints / tips / tricks to disguise the problem?

Any way to remove the problem?

the corer units are 900 x 900, so return the corner at 90 degrees.

I have considered amending the layout slightly to get 600 x 1000 units allowing me to take the next leg off parallel to the wall, with a thin packer between the front of the units, which would largely be hidden by the doors.
not a time problem, as it is a Howdens off-the-shelf product

thoughts chaps?

DoctorC

Sponsored Links
Im only a DIYer, but I have done 2 kitchens, I make the cabinetts square & the workitop is scribed to fit the walls

or you can have an upstand at the back that can hide PART of the gap

thanks

the upstand would look pretty squint too - that's the problem.

I'll rough the cabinets into place, and see what it looks like and take it from there - probably

bit of head-scratching to come, no doubt!

i saw advice in an earlier thread regarding fitting units square to the wall, and mitreing a non-90 degree joint in the worktop.

Whilst i think this is the tidiest solution, my concern is the corner units, and the need to do something different with them.

Sponsored Links
You could try cutting away the plaster in a tapered manner into both sides of the corner for the cab rear edges and worktop edge, so that the square cabs sit slightly inside the oversquare corner. Maybe you will make 50 mm, or at least some of it.

my technique of solving the off-square wall has been to call in a joiner to assist in getting everything roughed out and fixed in place.

The word 'magician' is not lightly used!

amazing stuff - glad i never took it on!

Doc
You could fit the base units square from the longest wall then plasterboard/dot and dab the shorter wall above the units to bring everything square then fit any wall units to this. Job done.

its all done now.

The joiner was a master, and with a little careful shenanigans behind the units in all runs, and by buying slightly deeper work-tops (720mm) you cannot tell it's off-sqaure, even if one wall is out 85mm in 3 metres.

the floor tile sare the only give away, but at 600 x 600, there are few joints to give it away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back