Fitting kitchen units to walls not square

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Started fitting my new kitchen, got the base units in, and started on the wall units. But heres the problem..

I have 2 tall larder units at each end of two runs, going around a 90 degree wall. So when lining up the wall units with the base units you have to be spot on to the milimeter almost, to make sure there are no gaps etc between units. With the walls being slightly out of square the corner wall unit wont fit in, its about 7mm to big! So the only way I can see to resolve this will be to move all the base units away from the wall by another 7mm?
See pic for more detail!

870E2531-5562-4CC9-93F7-056485D63524-158-0000001DFA699CCB.jpg

C3E8E272-3035-4427-8F7A-9288BB30BBE8-158-0000001DF51AF463.jpg

Another problem one of the walls tends to kink away half way along. So having all the units flush at the front leaves about a 30mm gap at the back of the last unit. This is a tall larder unit again which will have a end panel on it to colour match. Problem is the end panels are only 595mm wide, so when fluch at the front its still going to have a good 25mm gap at the back by the wall. Whats the best way to over come this problem?
See pic again:

39A623D4-6222-4CEC-A994-39C1FC8390E0-158-0000001DFD8AF791.jpg

02F79340-0940-4AC5-B036-987FAD32EECD-158-0000001E008204F3.jpg

Sponsored Links
If your walls are 30mm out of square, you going to have quite a large gap to pack out or shave off other units. If it's 2 units long as in you diagram, so can we assume 4ft-5ft? I would be tempted to get the old plastering tools out, base coat/skim to blend in and bring the wall back.

It's 30mm out over 3 units. My pic isn't very accurate! See more photos now on first post. I'm thinking I may be better battening off and ply the wall now. Can't cut off back of the other units because they are from ikea and the back of the unit goes flush against the wall! Bit of a poor design flaw no room for cables pipes etc. thanks for your rrply. Any ideas best way to get all units (base and wall) lining up properly? Cheers Chris.

That's the problem with ikea units and the like with no service gap. I think ply lining on Batons may be your answer. If it was easy we would all be kitchen fitters. The joys of ikea.

Sponsored Links
If it's three units, I would be tempted to get all carcasses level then screw them to each other, then work them back to wall and see if you can even the gap out over the whole distance.
If the walls are to be tiled finish, getting 30mm will be a bit of a core. Unless you can build wall out, ever with ply or even dot/dab.

just to check, are your units actually the same depth as the worktop? if they are a bit smaller you can line them up square and space one end away from the wall. Mine are a bit smaller so I didn't have your problem.

just to check, are your units actually the same depth as the worktop? if they are a bit smaller you can line them up square and space one end away from the wall. Mine are a bit smaller so I didn't have your problem.

Ikea units are a bit deeper than standard - as I found out when using standard but non-Ikea worktops on my Ikea units and wondering why I didn't have any overhang at the front.

If you fit an upstand you could conceal about 10-12mm of gap underneath it, or some decorative moulding (I used oak scotia on mine) to conceal a slightly bigger gap.

Thanks for all you're replies. I have decided now I rotated the base units slightly so the gap halfed at one end and opened up at the other. This now leaves two gaps which are manageable. Thanks for all your help will hopefully get some more pics up in a week or so!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back