Fitting a kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm fitting my own kitchen next week. The only bit (I think!) that really causes me concern is the worktop. It as one corner joint, for which I plan to hire a worktop jig to use with my friends router.

I've never used either of these things before, and my carpentry skills are probably between beginner and intermediate. How simple is this to do, and what do I need to watch out for?

Any help/advice much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
follow the instructions that come with the jig.
make sure you use a big router (1800watts plus)

use a sharp cutter.

also check the jig to see if anyone has nicked the channel for the guide bush as its easily done and it screws up the hole joint

aleks

Sponsored Links
In addition to my advice on the subject previously you must always let the cutter stop rotating completely before lifting the router because if you catch the jig on the way out it may cost you £100 plus for a replacement. Always feed the cutter into the curved face of the worktop first and the best advice is like before to practice on your old worktops because for some cuts you will need to turn the worktop over and rout from the back in order to allow the cutter to run the correct way.

This diagram on page 8 should give you all the info you need to do it right-----
http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/library/Instruction_Manuals/com650man.pdf

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back