Fitting a lintel or just wooden sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering whether to just change the rotten wooden sill or instead lintel above for a longer one to put above a new window. If it's just the sill and not lintel,how do I get old sill out? Rotten as hell. Wall's single skin
Screenshot_20201230-134134_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201230-134129_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201230-134124_Gallery.jpg

There's an old window (less rotten and next to this one) coming out soon (same dimensions), so could be used for parts.

Sponsored Links
Just replace the whole window, looks rotten as well.

If that's done, won't it need a longer lintel put in above it, it's a single skin garage wall. Would you take out bricks with bolster and lump hammer then cement it in?

Sponsored Links
It wants a new window, it needs the bricks above proping up with 2 acrows with strong boys, new full length concrete lintel fitted

Unsupported brickwork above the window.

Risk of it cracking or falling if not done carefully and properly supported.

Whoever fitted the door should've put in a full length lintel

If just replace the rotten sill and small window , how do you get the old one sill out and keep rest of window?

Last edited:
Unsupported brickwork above the window.

Risk of it cracking or falling if not done carefully and properly supported.

Whoever fitted the door should've put in a full length lintel
So you're saying the small lintel above door needs taking out and replaced with one long one above both door and window three acros with strong boys put into grout above small lintel and one layer of bricks above window. Cut out grout with sds drill with brick removing chisel bit or if possible multi tool (safer and single skin wall) then remove bricks After that remove old window and small lintel somehow for new one?

Last edited:
Sorry, but I think this is one of those jobs where you need to admit to yourself that you really don't have the relevant experience to tackle it on your own. Had you got the experience you would have recognised from the off that the existing lintel is inadequate and that a full length lintel over both the door and the window in a single piece is a must, and also that because the window frame is now supporting the masonry (and presumably part of the roof load above) propping and a degree of caution will be required, as stated above. It's sometimes good to admit defeat, you know

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but I think this is one of those jobs where you need to admit to yourself that you really don't have the relevant experience to tackle it on your own. Had you got the experience you would have recognised from the off that the existing lintel is inadequate and that a full length lintel over both the door and the window in a single piece is a must, and also that because the window frame is now supporting the masonry (and presumably part of the roof load above) propping and a degree of caution will be required, as stated above. It's sometimes good to admit defeat, you know

Sure, out of interest is it worth just replacing the rotten sill ? If so what's the best way to remove it ? I was thinking of putting in the one from the window next to it. They're dentical windows and (being taken out). Or a new one.

I did it before( put in a new wooden sill using expanding foam underneath and silicone. Seemed fine but a lot of faff. But previously I didn't need to try and remove it as it had just fallen out!

Last edited:
...out of interest is it worth just replacing the rotten sill ? If so what's the best way to remove it ? I was thinking of putting in the one from the window next to it. They're identical windows and (being taken out). Or a new one.
Here's the rub - there appears to be no lintel above the window, but there are bricks and there is a roof which means that rotten or not that window and quite probably the sill beneath it, are load bearing. So, if you cut away the sill, depending on how the window has been fixed in place and how many fixings there are, there may well be no support for the window. You just can't tell. In view of the fact that the window has been ""cowboyed"-in, I wouldn't want to put any faith in how well it has been fixed. If it isn't adequately fixed you could find yourself, having removed the sill, with broken glass, cracked brickwork and possibly a window frame/glass/bricks/concrete lintel/roofing* in your lap (or on your head) should the window frame move. On the other hand you might get away with it, so in the words of Dirty Harry, "... ask yourself, punk, are you feeling lucky?"

Personally, I wouldn't risk it - and that's advice from someone who regularly props roofs, beams, floors and joists in old buildings much bigger and heavier than this. You either need to do the job correctly, or not at all. The idea is that you go home safely every night and in one piece.

* = delete as appropriate

Here's the rub - there appears to be no lintel above the window, but there are bricks and there is a roof which means that rotten or not that window and quite probably the sill beneath it, are load bearing. So, if you cut away the sill, depending on how the window has been fixed in place and how many fixings there are, there may well be no support for the window. You just can't tell. In view of the fact that the window has been ""cowboyed"-in, I wouldn't want to put any faith in how well it has been fixed. If it isn't adequately fixed you could find yourself, having removed the sill, with broken glass, cracked brickwork and possibly a window frame/glass/bricks/concrete lintel/roofing* in your lap (or on your head) should the window frame move. On the other hand you might get away with it, so in the words of Dirty Harry, "... ask yourself, punk, are you feeling lucky?"

Personally, I wouldn't risk it - and that's advice from someone who regularly props roofs, beams, floors and joists in old buildings much bigger and heavier than this. You either need to do the job correctly, or not at all. The idea is that you go home safely every night and in one piece.

* = delete as appropriate

Thxs again. The guy who owns this garage is a retired surveyor. You'd thought he be a bit more knowledgeable and communicated this. And why is he asking a handyman to do it? He seems wealthy. I do believe he asked for my address as well months ago when I did a simple job for him (put up a new bit of guttering) I thought that strange at the time. I guess he was covering himself. Maybe he's tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back