Fitting a lintel or just wooden sill

Sponsored Links
You never know what is in people's minds when they are asking you to do a job.

So you're saying the small lintel above door needs taking out and replaced with one long one above both door and window three acros with strong boys put into grout above small lintel and one layer of bricks above window. Cut out grout with sds drill with brick removing chisel bit or if possible multi tool (safer and single skin wall) then remove bricks After that remove old window and small lintel somehow for new one?

Yes

There's a fair chance the brickwork will come down or crack.

I suppose you could chase out mortar the whole length and fit some angle iron from inside.

I reckon if they are easily availve stock bricks, a builder would just cut out the whole section, put in lintel and put new bricks back in -probably quicker TBH

The key word I take from that is "builder". Most "builders" I come across are either former brickies or former chippies (carpenters), so they should be familiar with the concept of supporting loads safely on props whilst working beneath.

Sponsored Links
Yes

I suppose you could chase out mortar the whole length and fit some angle iron from inside.

I reckon if they are easily availve stock bricks, a builder would just cut out the whole section, put in lintel and put new bricks back in -probably quicker TBH

Cut it out with disc cutter? And, I've no intention of trying that myself, just curious.

These days you'd normally use an angle grinder and a (diamond) raking disc or perhaps alternatively a carbide or diamond coated tool for the 115mm grinder which looks a bit like a welding rod with a nut on the end. Either way is an extremely dusty job and one best performed with a purpose-designed guard which has a foot and a dust spout (to which a decent quality industrial vacuum cleaner is attached)

Yes

I would say that brickwork is certain to all come crashing down.

What is the roof construction?

If it is just steel angle or wood beams supporting a flat lightweight roof, a fresh length of 2x2" heavy angle, clamped or bolted to the roof beams extending the full length of the door, plus the window, with one or two timbers fixed to support the angle iron, would allow the brickwork above both the window and the door to be taken out and replaced with one long lintel across the door and window. You could then install new brickwork above the lintel and fit a complete new window made to measure.

I would say that brickwork is certain to all come crashing down.

What is the roof construction?

If it is just steel angle or wood beams supporting a flat lightweight roof, a fresh length of 2x2" heavy angle, clamped or bolted to the roof beams extending the full length of the door, plus the window, with one or two timbers fixed to support the angle iron, would allow the brickwork above both the window and the door to be taken out and replaced with one long lintel across the door and window. You could then install new brickwork above the lintel and fit a complete new window made to measure.

Not sure of roof's construction. If I find out will update

These days you'd normally use an angle grinder and a (diamond) raking disc or perhaps alternatively a carbide or diamond coated tool for the 115mm grinder which looks a bit like a welding rod with a nut on the end. Either way is an extremely dusty job and one best performed with a purpose-designed guard which has a foot and a dust spout (to which a decent quality industrial vacuum cleaner is attached)
Is there any chance there's some sort of lintel in there but hidden? Cat nic for example

With that concrete lintel? I very much doubt it. Any lintel needs to be supported on masonry at both ends - you have a concrete lintel which is supported at one end, but which at the other end is transferring its' load into the window frame. Even if there is a steel lintel in there it will still only be supported at one end. And that simply doesn't work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back