Fitting a new, 1st floor stud parition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
I want to fit a new stud wall upstairs that will form part of a new bathroom on one side and a hall leading to a bedroom on the other, however the wall will be running parallel to the joists.
I have took the floor boards up as the bathroom is having a marine ply base so I cannot run the sole plate on them. The wall will eventually be boarded and tiled so there is some extra loading with the tiles.
With the 9 x 2 joists being at 350 centers would it be sufficient to screw in a series of 6 x 2 noggins between joists at 350 centers for the sole plate to sit on ?

Sponsored Links
i cant see a problem with that,done it that way myself before.alternatively how about screwing a batten to both sides of the joists 3/4" below the top of joist,then rip some 3/4" plywood that fits on top of the battons flush with the top of joists.this way it also gives you something to fix the ends of the floorboards to and your soleplate .

steviec said:
i cant see a problem with that,done it that way myself before.alternatively how about screwing a batten to both sides of the joists 3/4" below the top of joist,then rip some 3/4" plywood that fits on top of the battons flush with the top of joists.this way it also gives you something to fix the ends of the floorboards to and your soleplate .

Cheers for that, alot easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back