Fitting a new C.U. specifying typical MCB circuit values

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you help me choose some suitable MCB ratings for a s/h Consumer Unit i picked up cheaply. I am getting it fitted in a couple of weeks time by a qualifed local sparky.

The Sparks has already been round for a site survey and knows what work is involved , i just want to make sure everything is in place as we've agreed that i will be supplying 95% of the hardware - as I've already got most of it, The new CU only arrived this morning though.

Circuits to be protected with cable size if i know it and currently fitted rewirable fuse ratings in bold:

Existing Circuits that I'm retaining
Upstairs Lights - 1.5mm² (5A)
Downstairs Lights 1.5mm² (5A)
Upstairs Ring 2.5mm² (30A)
Downstairs Ring 2.5mm² (30A)
Cooker (30A)

New Circuit:
Power to shed via buried 6mm² 3 core SWA approx 5 - 7 metres long, ( cable already laid) RCD protected 2 way Garage CU inside shed for shed lights and sockets.

My 'new' main CU already has the following MCB's fitted and i'd obviously like to use as many as possible before buying more. I can have 4 x non RCD protected circuits and 6 x RCD protected circuits without any major surgery.

2 x 32A
2 x 16A
2 x 10A ( OK For lights ? )
1 x 40A
[/b]

Sponsored Links
Not sure theres logic in using a s/h CU.... :confused:

But 32A for both ring finals, cooker and shed, 6A for both lighting circuits, 16A for water heater if you have one

RCD the fing finals (and the cooker if it has socket outlet on it)

Don't RCD the lights, or the shed (rcd incommer board you said)

Lights can be on a 10A as long as cables are installed appropiately and there are no SBC or SES lampholders on the circuit, but it sounds like you are trying to cut corners :rolleyes:

Your sparky will know all this already, why ask here?...

Me thinks Kwikfix asks here because he is doing the work himself and wants to make sure. Surely if you employ a sparkie you leave it to him to specify the materials even if you source them yourself. Few reputable sparkies give guarantees on materials they haven't supplied. I wont risk my reputation fitting materials someone else has sourced from who knows where.

Sounds like an EBay S/H special filled with S/H MCB's - is it really worth it when you can get a fuly loaded 12 way CU for under £40 retail? Glad its not my house.

But 32A for both ring finals, cooker and shed, 6A for both lighting circuits, 16A for water heater if you have one

RCD the fing finals (and the cooker if it has socket outlet on it)

Don't RCD the lights, or the shed (rcd incommer board you said)

Lights can be on a 10A as long as cables are installed appropiately and there are no SBC or SES lampholders on the circuit, .

Thanks for that Adam, it looks like that is how my 'new' CU is already configured. I'll try one of the 16A MCB for the shed first of all, if it trips I can upgrade it to a higher value as i chose to install 6mm² SWA.

I had to look up what SBC and SES lampholders are and don't think I have any in circuit. It might be cheaper to flog the 2 x 10A MCB's and get a couple of 6A to replace them, I need to buy another 32A anyway for the cooker.

Not sure theres logic in using a s/h CU.... :confused:
Sensibly buying ( re-cycling) good quality, perfectly functional units makes sense to me . I've bought a s/h fully functional , tested and guaranteed MEM/Memera 2000 metalclad CU at a substantial discount over the brand new price. £30 v £70+ seemed like a bargain to me , even if i do have to buy & sell a couple of MCB's. Only time will tell whether this was a good decision. The sparky will test it and if it passes it passes, whether it is new or old.

but it sounds like you are trying to cut corners :rolleyes: ..
Saving money & cutting corners (as you've put it), are not the same thing to anybody who has any common sense and is already used to working to very high and exacting standards in a technically orientated job like me.

Your sparky will know all this already, why ask here?.

I'm off work at the moment and have a little spare time, much the same as anybody else who is currently using this discussion forum at the moment.
'My' sparky will be busy working and i don't wish to bother him, especially as no money has crossed hands yet, so he's not actually 'my' sparky yet :). I hadn't decided exactly which CU I was going to buy when he came round for the site survey last week, but i did have an idea that i wanted to get a MEM 2000.
It costs nothing but time to ask relevant questions here, it is a friendly discussion forum after all, isn't it ?
I always like to think that there is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an EBay S/H special filled with S/H MCB's - is it really worth it when you can get a fuly loaded 12 way CU for under £40 retail? Glad its not my house.

I thought that buying a good quality, tested , s/h item from a reputable manufactrurer was better than buying a cheapo , numpty branded, **** plastic one.
I reckon it will still be better than the current 20+ year old CU which has re-wirable fuse carriers and no RCD protection at all.

If it passes the tests it passes the tests whether its new or old.

I'll try one of the 16A MCB for the shed first of all, if it trips I can upgrade it to a higher value as i chose to install 6mm² SWA.

Call me a pedant if you wish but shouldn't you (or preferably your hopefully qualified sparkie) work out the design load of the shed and then decide the rating of the protective device? At least with 6mm 3 core SWA you can be sure of not overloading the cable as it should take around 53A. If you are that keen on saving resources why not use 4mm 3 core (42A) or 2.5mm 2 core (36A). Haven't looked at the voltage drop but wouldn't expect any problems with the distances quoted.[/quote]

MEM/Memera 2000 metalclad CU at a substantial discount over the brand new price. £30 v £70+ seemed like a bargain to me , even if i do have to buy & sell a couple of MCB's.

Some makers change there board and mcb designs,making it harder to get older MCB's making it hard to get replacements.
Hopefully, you wont have a problem if the board is still produced
An older obsolete board could cause problems though.

I'll try one of the 16A MCB for the shed first of all, if it trips I can upgrade it to a higher value as i chose to install 6mm² SWA.

Call me a pedant if you wish but shouldn't you (or preferably your hopefully qualified sparkie) work out the design load of the shed and then decide the rating of the protective device? At least with 6mm 3 core SWA you can be sure of not overloading the cable as it should take around 53A. If you are that keen on saving resources why not use 4mm 3 core (42A) or 2.5mm 2 core (36A). Haven't looked at the voltage drop but wouldn't expect any problems with the distances quoted.

Hello Cremeegg,

My shed is pretty much only ever going to be used by me. It will have a tumble drier in it ( 3000w, 240V upto 12.75 Amps drawn at start up ), plus my most powerfull power tool (2000w table saw probably) and a couple of lights being used at any one time. So i had a pretty good idea of cable size to use. I was going to go for 4mm anyway which was over spec'd for my needs, however when i went to my local electrical wholesaler, the price difference was only about 20p per metre, between 2.5mm, 4mm & 6mm. 20p -40p per metre might be important if you are buying 100m but is pin money when getting 5 -10m. I only needed about 8 metres but the guy had 9.6 metres of 6mm left on a drum and fuller drums of 2.5mm & 4mm.
I bought the 6mm as i got 9.6m for the price of 8m to finish the drum.

spending an extra couple of quid for better spec cable was money well spent imho, especially as it is now buried 600mm below a patio.

I'd hate to have to get my 18 year old lad to dig it all up again if it needed upgrading in the future :).

Sensibly buying ( re-cycling) good quality, perfectly functional units makes sense to me.
Your electrician needs to earn a certain amount of money to cover his fixed costs, his wife's irrational desire for food and shelter for her and the children etc.

For the sake of an example, let's say he needs to make £500 on this job and there's £100 worth of materials, making £600 payable

If he was going to charge you for £450 labour, and £150 including mark up on the materials, and you deny him that markup he will simply bump up his labour charge to £500.

But unless your buying power is greater than his, and you can buy the materials for less than £100, it'll cost you more overall.

I've bought a s/h fully functional , tested and guaranteed MEM/Memera 2000 metalclad CU at a substantial discount over the brand new price. £30 v £70+ seemed like a bargain to me , even if i do have to buy & sell a couple of MCB's. Only time will tell whether this was a good decision. The sparky will test it and if it passes it passes, whether it is new or old.
Remind me again how you test that MCBs work properly?

I always like to think that there is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.
OK, so in that spirit:
it is now buried 600mm below a patio.
Do you expect the electrician to sign that off?

For the sake of an example, let's say he needs to make £500 on this job and there's £100 worth of materials, making £600 payable

If he was going to charge you for £450 labour, and £150 including mark up on the materials, and you deny him that markup he will simply bump up his labour charge to £500.

But unless your buying power is greater than his, and you can buy the materials for less than £100, it'll cost you more overall.

I will assume then by your example that you think that £600 is a fair price for replacing a domestic consumer unit and getting power out to a shed situated 2.5 metres away from the house or about 5m away 'as the cable lies' ( ;) )

This is how i plan to do it:

Get 18 year old (currently unemployed) son to dig 2.5 m long , 600mm deep trench between house. He said he'd do it for a tenner I gave him £15
s/h populated, functional Memera 2000 CU with 100A 30ma RCD (tested). £31 ( i used a free £10 e-bay gift voucher to get this final price)
Extra mcb's ( due to this thread & not included in original CU sale 2 x B32A & 2 x B6A delivered £2.50 ( i used another free £7.50 e-bay gift voucher to get this price)
9.8m 3 core 6mm SWA cable £11.63
Brand new 2 way 'Garage' CU £21
Yellow Buried electrical cable warning tape £3
20mm Masonry drill £7
Services of local Electrician ( Boxed advert in local Yellow Pages ) @ £25 per hour, estimated job to take 1-2 hours £50
Couple of lengths of plastic waste pipe £3
All of the other hardware needed to complete this job i already have as left overs from other projects in other houses , lets give them a value of £30 though

I'm not going to put a price on my own labour time as i want the job done, i have plenty of spare time to do it and i enjoy doing this kind of stuff - it's relaxation & therapy to me.

My Total = £175 , which is £425 in my pocket.

When i invited the lecky round to give me a quote I didn't have a clue what he was going to say. I told him what my idea's where , i told him what i'd already done ( dug trench and laid cable) and what i intended to do, and obviously what i would like him to do. He was a very nice young chap, he obviously knew his stuff from what he was saying ( I'm an electrician too remember ).
On this basis he gave me a quote, i thought it reasonable and said i would be in touch early next month, after the Power Company have fitted my isolator at the service head.

I'm not running a charity for poor, overworked and underpaid electricians. I work hard for my money too. I am also Highly qualified and experienced in my field, and just like you get paid for what i know as much as what i do.

Nobody is forcing anybody to do something they do not wish to do here....

Remind me again how you test that MCBs work properly?

I made a mistake there , it was the 100A 30ma RCD that was guaranteed as fully functional and tested, not the MCB's.
We got talking about test equipment, he told me that his tester cost him over £800 , i assume he will be able to re-test the RCD's for me prior to fit , these are the main lifes savers after all.

As they seem to be sealed at manufacture , I don't know how you would test an MCB as the only way i can think of doing it would be to supply it with its stated trip current & voltage, then slowly ramp up the current until it trips. 240 vac at say 100 amps anybody , i wouldn't lick it .

Basically if i buy an MCB and it is made by a reputable company to a given standard ( e.g. BS EN 60898 ) and it shows no signs of mechanical damage, or signs of electrical damage through obvious overheating , etc then I would have to assume that it is servicable, why wouldn't I ?
Brand new/sealed off the shelf Items can be found to be faulty on fit too you know.... The manufacturer will only check test samples , not every single item off the production line....

In the first instance as long as the problem isn't that you can't turn it off, then i would check a suspect faulty item by transposing it with another unit of the same value on a circuit that is known to work and see what happens. Perhaps you guys carry an 'in line' plug in fuse or MCB test rig to daisy chain in so as not to overload a circuit with a 'permanent closed' faulty MCB ??? something like this;

http://photos.imageevent.com/sidandcoke/generaldumpinggroundforgashpiccys/large/Safety rig.JPG

An MCB with a 'permanent open' fault will be pretty easy to spot :) .

OK, so in that spirit:
it is now buried 600mm below a patio.
Do you expect the electrician to sign that off?

I don't live in Part P Land. I have contacted Building control twice now and the sparky also confirmed when he came round that i can do the whole lot myself if i wish. I reckon that half and half is pretty safe.
I am pretty sure that i will be able to prove to anybody that cares to drop in unexpectedly to check ( that'll be nobody BTW) that my installation has been installed to at least BS7671 standard. Thats why i am employing a qualified spark for a couple of hours or so to to take a gander at it and test where he thinks testing is required.

Nobody has to sign for anything and nobody is going to be asked to sign for anything they don't want to. For starters I don't fancy giving any of them bastards down south any more of my hard earned, they already take 40% of any overtime i do already. so That'll be another 17.5% saved off the job ( hopefully- cash often brings out the bst in people i think).

My cable was installed in the proper manner, i followed 'suggested' guidlines that i found in various publications i've recently bought and read. My cable is laid on a bed of sand at 600mm depth, the SWA is further encased in 2" plastic waste pipe, overlaid with more sand, Storage heater fire bricks, two seperate layers of yellow 'buried electrical cable' warning tape, back filled with stone free soil and then paved over the top. I really don't think the special agent from building control is going to be too concerned do you ?

Perhaps some pictures might help sway him not to slap me in irons;
http://photos.imageevent.com/sidandcoke/generaldumpinggroundforgashpiccys/large/SG1L0926.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/sidandcoke/generaldumpinggroundforgashpiccys/large/SG1L0927.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/sidandcoke/generaldumpinggroundforgashpiccys/large/SG1L0929.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/sidandcoke/generaldumpinggroundforgashpiccys/large/SG1L0930.JPG

Back on topic:

I've decided to go with:

RCD side
Upstairs Ring B32A
Downstairs ring B32A
Cooker B32A ( it has a switched socket outlet on the isolator plate)

Non RCD side
Upstairs lights B6A
Downstairs lights B6A
Shed B32A ( i can add a MEM 100ma RCD pod to this if i wish to make it an RCBO)

This arrangement will leave me with 1 spare non RCD way and 3 spare RCD ways to add extra circuits in the future. I've heard that Fridge Freezers can sometimes be problematic and i also have a gas central heating combi- boiler to think of which is wired into the downstairs ring.

As always thanks for all the helpful and informative replies, i really do appreciate you taking the time to answer. [/url]

I will assume then by your example that you think that £600 is a fair price for replacing a domestic consumer unit and getting power out to a shed situated 2.5 metres away from the house or about 5m away 'as the cable lies' ( ;) )
I just picked the figures at random - I had no idea what the total job entailed.

Services of local Electrician ( Boxed advert in local Yellow Pages ) @ £25 per hour, estimated job to take 1-2 hours £50
1-2 hours to replace a CU and connect up a shed supply?

He obviously doesn't plan on doing a professional job...

A load of tosh

:oops: :oops: :oops:

BAS

OP lives in Scotland - hence not in Part P land - I wont comment on their rules as a mere southern b******d but so far as thats concerned I thought we southerners had subsidised them for years and continue to do so - but the jocks have the last laugh - they can vote and claim huge expenses from our govt but we cant do a thing in theirs.

Massive thread drift and preparing for incoming fire!!!

Oh b******s - I missed that entirely :oops: :oops: :oops:

Despite the "I don't live in Part P land" clue... :oops: :oops: :oops:

This is another one trying it on by doing another spark out of a living.
Send him up the road before he kills himself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back