Will shower overload rcd?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im in the process of installing an 8.5kw shower into the bathroom of a small flat

The current set-up in the cu is as follows;

100A main switch
63A 30mA rcd side of cu;
30A running cooker and 13A socket
30A ring running 3 x double socket, 2 x single socket
30A ring running 2 x double
30A running 1 kitchen extractor & 2 heaters (heaters permanently out of use)
16A running socket for washing m/c, dryer and microwave

non rcd side of cu;
15A running water heater
5A running lights
5A running lights

If I install 40A mcb on rcd side of cu will it overload?
i dont use too much at the same time, worst case scenario shower, cooker, kettle, washing m/c, dryer, 3-4 sockets and a few lights at once

Or would it be better to install the mcb on the non rcd side of the cu run it to a separate rcd then to the 45A switch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanx

Sponsored Links
should be OK. and are you aware of part P?

thanx for the reply

Yeh, aware of part p trying to do everything by the book before i get part p qualified bod to check it over (probably not the best way to operate i know)

Also when connecting the rcd what is the best way of continuing the earth as i will obviously be interupting the phase and neutral?

thanx again

Have you checked to see if an RCBO is available for your board, that would be neater?

Sponsored Links
chris1234 said:
Also when connecting the rcd what is the best way of continuing the earth as i will obviously be interupting the phase and neutral?

thanx again

?

you will connect the circuit as a normal circuit. neutral to the neutral bar, phase to the MCB and earth to the earth bar

andrew2022 said:

He is talking about if he puts the mcb on the non-rcd side of the cu and uses an rcd in a separate enclosure, and wants to know how to join earth in this enclosure as obviously it doesn't pass through the rcd like live and neutral do.

Its a bit messy like that, I'd personnaly swap the rcd out for one with higher switching capacity, or use an rcbo on the non rcd side

If you are going to run a shower circuit from the RCD side of the board, then I would replace the 63A RCD for an 80A one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back