Consumer units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We still have a fusewire CU - nowt wrong with it, so reluctanct to pay £££'s just to make it a MCB CU - anyway, would a leccy be happy installing a seperate 45A RCD for upgrading the shower from 7.5Kw up to 9.5Kw onto the existing CU, or will they insist on changing the CU? If so, how much should I be looking at (currently its a 6 way fusewire 2x5A lights, 30A cooker, 30A ring main, 30A shower, 15A immersion, on a 80A CU)

Sponsored Links
You may be able to persuade him to install a separate CU on the tails, the existing fuse box wont take anything larger than a 30A.

Sponsored Links
Works fine, never had any probs with it, what's so wrong with a fusewire CU? (Dont mean it to sound as arsey as it does :oops: )

MCBs are much more sensitive, so will trip at smaller faults that would either take much longer for an fuse to blow, or might not blow it at all. A fusewire CU also implies there are no RCDs (I assume your current shower has a separate RCD unit?), which means unless you use RCD'd sockets or plugs, you don't have RCD protection when doing anything that should have it (e.g. mowing the lawn etc).

Plus, if it's a fusewire CU it probably means things haven't been looked at for a while, so you never know what else might be not up to current standards (yes, I know this doesn't necessarily mean it's unsafe, but still...)

yes, shower is on RCD, all outside work, ie lawn mowing, etc - use 13A socket plug RCD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back