Consumer Unit Suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ... I'm looking to replace my current distribution setup as it is rather antiquated and bulky (have electro-magnetic RCCB's always been such huge ugly looking things) :)
Property is overhead wired TT on a 60A service fuse with a Crabtree 60A RCCB hanging (literally) off 16mm2 tails about 2m from the meter. 16mm2 tails to an old 4 way CU a few inches away with 4 wired fuses 5A, 15A, 30A and 45A.
The property has benefitted (in building terms) from a previous extension whose circuits are supplied by another separate 2 way CU (30A + 5A) connected via 6mm2 to (you've probably guessed) the 45A fuse on the 4way CU.
A new kitchen is going in and, as the main 4 way CU is high on the current kitchen wall and looks like something you'd expect to see on the wall of an Athens holiday flat, I'm taking the opportunity to replace the lot with a single split load unit and run some new circuits around the place whilst I have access (kitchen ring, radials for new ovens, freezer and smoke alarm etc) and split the current circuits across the two busbars as appropriate.
I'm planning for a 100A DP incomer, 2 separate busbars protected by a 100A 100mA time delay RCD and an 80A 30mA RCD respectively ... I will need 6 ways on each bus to allow for futureproofing.
Any advice on make/model for the CU together with suppliers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Normally swap main switch out for the 100ma time delay rcd on TT*, then its split load as standard with a 30ma rcd covering sockets and showers, etc. discrimination is provided by the time delay.

MK do a range upto 21 (17 MCB ways in split load config, split is customisable), you'll need the appropiate sized board, split load kit, and the two rcds

Available from tlc-direct: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Index/index.html

*never seen a CU with main switch and two rcds, though nothing to stop you fitting switch in a separate enclosure, so you can isolate the whole board in future without pulling the rec fuse again

I would request a PME upgrade, fit a 14way split loader. I always opt to use MEM.

Don't forget to upgrade your main equipotential bonding while you are at it (along with the tails to the meter, and earth to the service head).

Although you have an overhead supply, these can 99% of the time be converted to TN-C-S.

Sponsored Links
Already spoken to supplier about PME ... Their response was underwhelming! House is in a small hamlet (couple of dozen houses and a pub) and the main supply trips at the first sight of lightning.
It's quite reminiscent of the power cuts if the 70's except most of us have gennys now to supply the essentials (a couple of sockets for the TV+Sky and, of course, the wife's hairdrier).
I have thought about upgrading the tails also though it won't be easy as it looks like they've been run down the cavity of the new build (the service head is on the extension) and under the floor of the main bedroom (new build) and through the old outside wall to the kitchen (old part of house). The main bedroom is fully fiited out now and I don't want to pull floor boards here (the wife doesn't want ANY more floorboards pulled) :LOL:
Not ruling this out yet though, I'm going to chisel some brickwork away and see what options I have.
Thanks for the advice

Adam_151 said:
never seen a CU with main switch and two rcds,
Hager make one

2RCD.jpg

I'm sure there are others.

Thanks ban, I suppose the decision comes down purely to cost and I need to look at the various suppliers to see which solution is most cost effective, the Hager unit you describe (which fits the bill perfectly) or a standard split load unit with the 100A switch incomer replaced with a 100mA time delayed RCD which would also be okay.
Thanks for the advice

Or any twin-tariff board with both incomers replaced with RCDs.

Or two small, separate boards.

Probably going to go for MK Sentry 16 way split load box and replace the incomer with their 100mA TD RCD ... Thanks for all the advice.

What are the Test Links in the Hager's Neutral Terminal Strips for?

I always thought only the Earth terminal need have a Test Linkage in it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back