Where to insert RCD protection on circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - The circuit supplying my water heater also supplies two indoor sockets. The circuit, illustrated below, is on the non-RCD side of my split-load CU, and is protected by a 16A MCB.

CU-----Water Heater-----SKT-----SKT

The current set-up isn't ideal, and I want to provide RCD protection to the two sockets. Where's the best place to install the RCD?

1). Install 16A RCBO at the CU
2). Install 13A RCD FCU between water heater and first socket
3). Another arrangement?

Cheers for any help.

Sponsored Links
Fit a stand-alone after the water heater and before the first socket.

Make sure it is 30mA & at least rated to the circuit device.

You could fit an RCD spur, but then your total load on the 2 outlets c
ould only be a maximum of 13a.

There shouldn't really be sockets on the water heater circuit, is it possible to remove the sockets onto a fing final circuit, perhaps by using an FCU?

Sponsored Links
Point taken Adam.

The worst that could happen is nuisance tripping of the MCB if 16A is exceeded for any length of time.

BTW, I spoke to the NIC helpline not long ago. They do not recognise the OSG at all. They work purely from the regs book.

In that case, I revise my advice. If the two sockets can be limited to 13A between them, fit the RCD fused spur as you suggested.

Then the chances of nuisance tripping are very much lessened.

If you could sever the connection with the WH and feed the sockets from the ring final, that would, in my mind, be best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back