fitting a new external fire door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The council has arranged to fit a fire door to my front door. I live on the 1st floor of a 3 story building and I own my flat. The neighbour across the landing has had the work done and they have replaced his 32 inch door with a "regulation industry standard minimum" 28 inch door. This means that they have had to use foam around the new door to fill in the gap which has been left when they took out the old door. They are then going to plaster over the foam.

Doesn't this create a fire hazard?

Secondly, the cost of the door and installation is £854. Is this about the right cost?

Sponsored Links
why didnt they just replace his door with a 30" solid fire door????or a door blank?
as i dont know exactley whats involved with the job?but it does seem a tad expensive,
i would say a straight swap over new door ironmongery etc etc should take no more then 1 day,ok painting extra.

We were given a leaflet by the coucil and from this leaflet we could choose one of four doors. In our block of flats, three of the tenants own and three are council tenants. The quote for the new communal front door and the 6 apartment doors was divided evenly between the six flats. The quote was delivered to us as a done deal. So no choice.

Any views on using foam to fill in round the exterior of the door?

bloody hell,so thats in the region of 5.5k for 7 doors,im doing summit drastically wrong,but thats my opinion.

Sponsored Links
maybe i need to get a carpenter in to have a look at the neighbours door and advise me if they have done a good job or not.

yes, 6 doors, nearly £5000 and then £100 to cart away the old doors - i won't even go into the cost of installing the communal front door which was over £10,000 split between the 6 apartments! One of my neighbours now has work longer - can't retire at 65 because the council keeps sanctioning all this work on our building.

they sound like a right bunch of bankers. ;)

just for your own peace of mind it wouldnt hurt in asking a chippy for his opinion,but give him a drink for giving it,as he wont be getting any work out of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back