fitting a new UPVC back door from Screwfix, how hard is it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, just a general question as i'm struggling to find a company that wants to supply and fit a new back door. I had one company that quoted me £700 and has now said that brexit has forced up shipping prices and now wants £875 and another company quoted me £900.

The door i have has little adjustment in the hinges and it sags depending on the type of window and you have to lift it up to engage the locks and the kids cant lift it to lock the door.

I don't actually need to buy from screwfix and will look around, but how hard is it to fit a back door securely, im pretty competent DIYer or perhaps buy the door and get someone else to fit it.

Would a door from screwfix be comparable to the window company doors that thye provide in terms of security and quality.

something like this.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/crystal-...racite-grey-upvc-back-door-2090-x-890mm/866jp

Attachments

• 184829825_10159811646735934_4166014111978430324_n.jpg
    184829825_10159811646735934_4166014111978430324_n.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 184738756_10159811646855934_1569090810206440861_n.jpg
    184738756_10159811646855934_1569090810206440861_n.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 117
Sponsored Links
It is doable by a decent DIYer with some basic tools. - you won't get a certificate though.

You can Google "The Good Practice Guide for the Installation of Replacement Windows" For a guide with loads of info and see if you are up to it.

Its very important your masonry opening is the right size and prepared, which is the down point of a Screwfix door being a set size.

Its probably more worthwhile to diagnose the existing door?

It is doable by a decent DIYer with some basic tools. - you won't get a certificate though.

You can Google "The Good Practice Guide for the Installation of Replacement Windows" For a guide with loads of info and see if you are up to it.

Its very important your masonry opening is the right size and prepared, which is the down point of a Screwfix door being a set size.

Its probably more worthwhile to diagnose the existing door?
great thanks, it has a fitting manual which doesnt seem to bad. i'll have a google. I have contacted another company today which they can fix doors, i think mine was just cheap and its 10yr old so its probably way past it best but hopefully i can see what this company says. appreciate you taking the time to reply

Sounds like the door glass probably needs ' toe and heeling ' . a good quality upvc door is good for much longer than 10 years, up to 30 if fitted correctly and looked after . Don't buy ' off the shelf ' doors if you think your current door is cheap , most of the ' off the shelf ' stuff is complete rubbish , with hinges , locks etc that will fail within years...see it all too often

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the door glass probably needs ' toe and heeling ' . a good quality upvc door is good for much longer than 10 years, up to 30 if fitted correctly and looked after . Don't buy ' off the shelf ' doors if you think your current door is cheap , most of the ' off the shelf ' stuff is complete rubbish , with hinges , locks etc that will fail within years...see it all too often

thanks, yeah it was my main concern i end up having the same issues a few years down the line with another cheap one. i have to adjust the hinges two a year for summer and winter as it doesnt close properly and you have to lift it up to engage the handle lock. there is normally a 3mm gap on the top left (opposite to the hinge side)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back