New back door needed - Wood or uPVC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My existing back door has a cat flap in it and is going rotten in patches. It is single 1/2 galzed and looks horrid.

I will be looking to replace it soon. The door leads into the utility room which has 3 outside walls. It is very cold, mainly due to this door been a poor fit and having a DIY cat flap hacked into it!

What is the best option for replacement, a wood back door or a uPVC back door in either dark wood effect or white.

I'm after good security, minimal maintenance and small cost!

Thanks

Andy

PS - What kind of price am I looking at for a back door in wood or uPVC fitted? And is it a doable DIY job?

Sponsored Links
Wood.

Unless the frame is sound, get a new hardwood frame too.

Expect to pay a day's wages plus materials.

A joiner will do it better and quicker than an amateur.

Use half the extra money you aren't wasting on a crummy plastic door to buy a solid hardwood one; 3 brass or stainless hinges, 5-lever sashlock, mortice bolts top and bottom.If you have room above, use lift-off hinges which will make it much easier to re-paint or stain, especially the top and bottom.

If you have the door and frame delivered to you a week before fitting, you can preserve and paint the parts of the frame that will be against the wall and impossible to treat later.

I happen to like the sort of door here; although part-glazed, you could not just break the glass and climb in, as the timber is very sturdy.

Shiplap02.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back