Fitting cat flap to upvc back door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the internal construction of a upvc back door with some moulding on it? Can I just cut though it with a jigsaw and sculpt the moulding so that the cat flap frame will fit? Am I better trying to go through the wall instead?

Sponsored Links
if you have a moulded panel fitted to the door, then a cat flap may not be suitable as the profile will make fitting awkward.

there is no reason why you can't have a plain flat replacement fitted. a cat flap could be installed into the panel before the panel is finally fixed into the door.

The whole central panel of the door is one, so to change it makes buying a new door better. I'm sure I could scuplt the edges of the panelling to fit a flap, but wasn't sure what the internal constructions was.
Is it just UPVC?
Would a jigsaw do it?

the construction is a laminate of plastic, plywood and foam or polystyrene insulation.

a jigsaw will pi$$ through it.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to Hijack this post;
I already have a flap installed but wish to put another one in.
Unfortunately the new one is longer. I can probably cut the extra length with the panel in situ, but how will I cut accross to complete the opening?

You'll need to fit a tunnel to the cat flap, and have the openings standing proud of the door (past the profile). This should result in a fairly neat solution. Best bet is to replace the panel though with a flat one - or get rid of the cat.

the construction is a laminate of plastic, plywood and foam or polystyrene insulation.

Err not always, mine is plastic Steel plate, foam, plastic. Hard to cut through.

Err not always, mine is plastic Steel plate, foam, plastic. Hard to cut through.

If the jigsaw has a HSS blade fitted, it should go through all the layers - just make sure the panel is braced so it doesn't "flap" whilst cutting. Also protect the panel whilst cutting, or it'll mark very easily.

Am I better trying to go through the wall instead?
Well I think so as the cat flap can spoiled the appearance of the door and the wall cat tunnel can be hidden out of sight, behind sofa or curtain

STA71578.jpg

STA71579.jpg

STA71581.jpg

I popped in to see a customer this afternoon, who I installed a cat-flap for last week - exact scenario as above, but I replaced the panel for her.

The cat wouldn't use the flap though, that is until yesterday when next doors dog spooked it and caused it to "fly" through the flap. No problems since !.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back