Fitting a cat flap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a way in which to fit a cat flap to an external door? The door is a unglazed uPVC door.

Sponsored Links
Cut a hole in the door. However not to be completely flippant, you need to remember that the PVCu door will probably have a stell plate (clad in PVCu) in the bottom, so you need to use an appropriate saw. Actually, why is uPVC called PVCu these days, I know it stands for ultra Polyvinylchloride or presumably Polyvinylchloride ultra now, but why the change, anyone know?

Sponsored Links
If you are using one of the magnetic cat flaps they don't work too well witha steel clad fo framed door. i.e. PVCu.

Is it just me, but since we joined the EU we seem to have changed the name of many products to suit the other countries. Marathon became Snickers, Jif became Cif and Immac for ladies became Veet. Switch is now changing to Maestro. When will they change the names of some of their products to suit us?

nstreet said:
When will they change the names of some of their products to suit us?
Sorry, English have no right :eek: This country is now called euroland. Did you know you cannot get chocolate coin in english but only in euro, brainwash or what. :rolleyes:

masona said:
nstreet said:
When will they change the names of some of their products to suit us?
Sorry, English have no right :eek: This country is now called euroland. Did you know you cannot get chocolate coin in english but only in euro, brainwash or what. :rolleyes:

I can't tell the difference between the Euro and chocolate money... except that chocolate money has a better chance of remaining as a viable currency.

uPVC, PVCu? Probably due to the way that in French words are put in the wrong order to make abbreviations. Like how TGV basically stands for Train Big Fast, rather than GVT. Or how they call the United Kingdom and United States the Kingdom United and States United. I find it almost ironic that in France they call the States "EU", but the US doesn't like the idea of the EU at all! :LOL:

As for the catflap, if you do have a steel plate in your door then this might affect the operation of a magnetic cat flap :idea:

I don't the the PVCu uPVC is a French/EU plot at all, the naming of Chemical compounds has long been subject to changes. Without me getting into probably what would be an incorrect monologue (that means me BTW), I think that technically speaking PVC (PolyVinyl Chloride) should be called PolyEthelyeneChloride; Vinyl being an archaic term.

PVC (PolyVinyl Chloride) should be called PolyEthelyeneChloride; Vinyl being an archaic term.
I thought that it was CDs replaced Vinyl. So shouldn't it be PVCD :LOL:

Difficult to put a cat flap in a upvc door as most doors have a bevel of some sort. You might be able to replace the panel for a flat one though.

the 'u' in upvc stands for 'unplasticised'

Difficult to put a cat flap in a upvc door as most doors have a bevel of some sort. You might be able to replace the panel for a flat one though.

the 'u' in upvc stands for 'unplasticised'

Cat's probably dead now.

i looked into this a while ago when we got our 2 kittens, iirc you can swap the panel in the door for one with a cat flap in it.

not sure how expensive they are but that was some adivce i got at the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back