fitting a porch light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to install a light on my porch that can be switched on/off from inside. Question I have is where to source the Live from?

Sponsored Links
You will require live/line, neutral and earth not just live/line.
The location of these would depend on how you installation was installed.
It could be that nearby light fitting has looped in cables or maybe a nearby switch plate has been looped in.
Don't be fooled by the colours of the cables, it is not unusual to come across core colours that you would associate with neutral conductors but there actually switch live/line.

Another option would be a fused spur from a socket.

So I create a fused spur off a socket,

Can I then take a feed from fused spur to a switch and then from switch to light?

Or can I use a switched FCU?

Sponsored Links
So I create a fused spur off a socket,

Can I then take a feed from fused spur to a switch and then from switch to light?

Or can I use a switched FCU?

You can do either but it is a requirement that any newly installed cable that is buried in a wall at a depth less than 50mm, will require either 30mA RCD protection or mechanical protection (metal capping is not deemed suitable as mechanical protection).
So the question would be do you have 30mA RCD protection on the circuit that you are taking a feed from, if not and cable is being buried, I would suggest using a 30mA RCD fused connection unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back