Fitting a range cooker in a chimney brest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I am planning to fit a range cooker in the opened out chimney breast in my kitchen.
I currently have an electric hob on a 1000mm unit with an extractor fan at 900mm height inside a brick lintel arch which is about 750mm above the hob level. The extractor extracts up the original chimney.

The gap between the pillars is 1070mm and I was originally planning to fit a 1000mm duel fuel range cooker, but although the range cooker would physically fit in the recess I am led to believe that clearance is required on ether side of the cooker for it to be legal.
I have done several searches on the Internet and can only find a reference to clearance issues where combustible surfaces are involved; nothing at all where the surfaces are not combustible.
What I would like to know is if there is any gas or other regulations that prevent me from fitting a 1000mm unit, or if need be a 900mm unit.

Thank You,

Paul

Sponsored Links
clearences quoted are usually to combustable surfaces to stop them scorching, minimum gaps to brick/plaster etc are only required for air flow and manouvering the appliance and can be as low as 5-10 mm but as another post said manufacturers instructions must always be complied to.

What cooker and fuel are you thinking

Make and model would be handy

Sponsored Links
It all depends on which cooker you go for.

Check out the web sites of the cooker manufacturers for full details.

I was thinking of the Belling Kensington 100DF.
Belling installation clearances state 90mm clearance to a cupboard and obviously there is little room for pan handles if this was not adhered to.
I would effectively have half that at 45mm.
I have seen plenty of pictures of range cookers in chimney breasts, so it would appear to be workable. The clearances deemed necessary seem to vary, depending on the manufacturer.
My main concern is the legality, i.e. is it against gas or building regulations.

Thanks

Paul

My main concern is the legality, i.e. is it against gas or building regulations.

Thanks

Paul

Its against all regs not to follow the manufacturers instructions.

The manufacturers instructions are the Bible in all cases

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back