Gas hob cabinet distance confusion.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Electric 900mm free-standing range cooker with with gas top installed years ago. I am now wanting to swap my wall units for taller ones. Currently the wall units are 500mm higher than the oven hob cook serface and the wall units butt up against the extractor hood which is 900mm wide same as the cooker. The hood is 780mm above the cooker.
I see some reg diagrams mention that wall units have to be 50mm away from being inline with the hob but that is if they are lower than what mine are at fitted at which is 500mm.
And then there is the manufactures fitting guides which differ from the gov regs.
Here is my manufacture fitting guide which has no mention of wall units other than being 450mm.

Second full colour picture (from a gas safe fitters found on the web ) is the set up I have now but my units are 500 from surface.

Attachments

• -01-01.jpeg
    -01-01.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 208
  • regsure.JPG
    regsure.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,103
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think the 50mm relates to adjacent furniture and if you have sufficient clearance above. If in doubt, maybe contact your manufacturer or obtain the services of gas safe or a gas safe registered engineer.

Your colour diagram has just appeared. That suggests that the 50mm alongside, needs to be more, 65 to 150mm. none of which applies to your overhead wall cupboards - they should not overhang the hob, they can come horizontally up to the edge of the hob.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone and apologies as I thought I was posting in the wrong forum and wasn't sure if I should be in regs - or appliance.
I did not know that Manufacturer instructions override British standard.
The colour picture is one I found on the web to demonstrate my confusion but I have just downloaded a few ovens that I may replace with in the future and the instructions in the manuals are a little bit clearer. Like this one for example for a Stoves Precision Deluxe S900DF GTG
My instructions and many i have found on the web are confusing and added to that every display kitchen I have seen has a gap between the extract hood and the wall cupboards

Attachments

• ne.JPG
    ne.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 99
Whatever the regs say, if you are a keen cook, having tall cupboards either side of the extractor is a rubbish idea because they just get caked in cooking deposits.

Whatever the regs say, if you are a keen cook, having tall cupboards either side of the extractor is a rubbish idea because they just get caked in cooking deposits.
Yes rmrusty we are keen cooks I do have an extractor hood set to extract to outside and part of my kitchen refurb will be to replace the internal motor with something more powerful. I will be posting about that and asking questions in one of the other forums here. Maybe the appliance one

I did it once - had tall cupboards close either side and afterwards decided never again. Always cleaning sticky deposits off. No matter how good the extractor, the fumes get to the cupboard sides before they get extracted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back