Regulations governing gas hob location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We're getting a new kitchen fitted with a gas hob.

Does anyone know where the regulations that govern gas hob locations are to be found? Which organisation is responsible for them? Are they just manufacturer recommendations based on individual hob requirements?

The reason I ask is that our surveyor has suggested that our wall units may need to be smaller than the current units to leave 100mm of clearance either side of the gas hob.

Apparently the regs were changed last year.

Our chosen hob is 585mm wide. The gap between the wall units is 600mm wide. But the present wall units are about 450mm above our current hob and we've not had any problems with the units getting scorched or even warm. I can't see why our new units can't be fitted in the same location and be of the same size with the same clearance to the new hob.

I'd like to see the regs he's referring to.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Hobs

A minimum of 750mm clearance is required above a gas hob to a cooker hood. The gap may be reduced to 727mm above a gas hob but the hood must be cleaned regularly to prevent a fire hazard. Wall units either side of a hood must be at least 366mm above. A minimum of 300mm clearance is required either side of the hob if installing next to a larder unit or flammable material.

Always refer to appliance manufacturers installation instructions

Hobs

A minimum of 750mm clearance is required above a gas hob to a cooker hood. The gap may be reduced to 727mm above a gas hob but the hood must be cleaned regularly to prevent a fire hazard. Wall units either side of a hood must be at least 366mm above. A minimum of 300mm clearance is required either side of the hob if installing next to a larder unit or flammable material.

Always refer to appliance manufacturers installation instructions
Cheers!

If I understand this correctly I'm okay to have my units with only the 7.5mm clearance either side of the hob because they are greater than 366mm (they're 450mm) above the level of the hob.

Sponsored Links
Nope.
The recommended height of the units adjacent above a hob is 460mm. Unless the manufacturers instructions say otherwise.

Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back