Fitting a gas hob - distance to the wall / upstand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have just had a solid worktop fitted (silestone quartz) and our gas man has said he cant fit the gas hob as there is not 50mm from the edge of the hob to the upstand as this does not meet building regs. We can't find anything to confirm this, and the worktop company is disputing it.

Can anyone one confirm if this is against building regs, and where I might find it written somewhere please.

Obviously the worktop company are not too keen at the idea of shipping in another slab of quartz to replace it!

All help appreciates.

Thanks, Alex

Sponsored Links
Look in the fitting instructions, or contact the maker of the hob.
I've been out of the game for a while now, but there were gas regulation guidelines for all appliances, however if the makers instructions said different that overrode the general guidelines.

I doubt things have changed much since then.

Regards,
footprints

Look in the fitting instructions, or contact the maker of the hob.
I've been out of the game for a while now, but there were gas regulation guidelines for all appliances, however if the makers instructions said different that overrode the general guidelines.

I doubt things have changed much since then.

Regards,
footprints

Many thanks for the info, Footprints.

I spoke to the appropriate Gas Safety body this morning who confirmed there are no specific building regs on hob placement - one is just to follow manufacturer's guidelines, as you suggest.

I phoned AEG who clarified that with this hob the hole in the worktop needs to be cut a minimum of 55mm from the nearest combustible vertical surface and as our upstands are non combustible they can actually sit within this boundary. So it looks like we're ok after all as the rear wall is 65mm from the hob cut-out.

Best,

Ben

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back