Replacement of gas hob with induction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure which is the right section for this query because it concerns various specialities but hopefully someone can help:

I have a five-ring gas hob that I want to replace with an induction hob of similar size. The first issue is the capacity of the cabling for the existing oven, which I think will need to be upgraded if adding an induction hob. The replacement hob needs a bigger cutout than the gas one, and the worktop is quartz. The gas hob needs to be disconnected/removed and then the electric one installed, after enlarging the cutout and upgrading the wiring. So my question is: Would I be able to find a tradesperson to do all of this or, worst case, do I need a gas fitter to remove the old hob, someone else to cut the quartz, and a third person to do the electrics and fit the new one? Bearing in mind it would be very inconvenient to be without a cooker for more than a day or two.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
You’ll definitely need a gas dude to do the gas bits.

And probably a sparky to do the new cable, would presume it’s notifiable as it’s a new circuit... unless you can tap into cooker circuit, but doubt you can do that if you want a large induction hob.

And finally yes someone to but out the quartz.

You might be able to buy a cheap induction single hob (eBay, £30 ish, tefal) which just plug in to a socket, to tide you over until the trades have done.

good luck.

If there is already a standard cooker circuit in place then it will be fine for an induction hob.

I am assuming you are in Surrey, despite being posted in 'outside the UK'.

Sponsored Links
If there is already a standard cooker circuit in place then it will be fine for an induction hob.

I am assuming you are in Surrey, despite being posted in 'outside the UK'.

Apologies, didn't notice I'd posted in the wrong place. As it's a new build I can get hold of the electrician who did the house. The developer said he thought it would need a new circuit (even though it has two electric ovens) but I will get that checked out first. Thanks both.

Back