electric induction hob to replace gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas hob. It will be changed to an electric induction hob. Do i need a gas man to 'cap' gas pipes before changing to electricHeating will remain gas. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes the gas pipe must be capped off and tested for pressure drop.
Your induction hob will very likely need a 20A supply.

I will repeat what I have said many times before go for one with knobs on. The touch controls were introduced with halogen hobs but are not required with induction it is easy clean anyway nothing burns on. And touch controls are too slow, as with gas with knobs if the milk starts to boil over you can simply turn off heat, but with touch controls it takes too long and it will have boiled over before you can tap it enough times.

And avoid the ones designed by idiots who don't see any reason not to put the controls where large pans obscure them.

Sponsored Links
I will repeat what I have said many times before go for one with knobs on. The touch controls were introduced with halogen hobs but are not required with induction it is easy clean anyway nothing burns on. And touch controls are too slow, as with gas with knobs if the milk starts to boil over you can simply turn off heat, but with touch controls it takes too long and it will have boiled over before you can tap it enough times.
I'm going to change my ceramic hob to an induction hob later this year as part of a total kitchen refit. I intend putting a cooker unit type of switch above the work surface so in a case like you mention it would be quick and easy to kill all power to the hob. I thought this might make cleaning easier as the touch controls would not work when the switch was off.
Am I wrong in my thinking?

An isolation switch is always a good idea.
My (Neff) hob has a cleaning mode so controls are disabled for a period while the little lady is polishing off the milk you have spilled on the hob.:D

Although an isolator is a good idea, it was not what we found a problem with my mothers. To adjust temperature first you tapped the heat area you wanted to alter then touched the up or down area two problems, one she could not see the display sitting in a wheel chair as angle was too great, second it was slow to react to taps, had ours not been a simple knob may be we would have accepted it, but the simple knob is so much quicker to control with. The knob has two detents one selects the boil then simmer the other the boost, standard 9 position for normal heat, two outside knobs held against detent selects and de selects child lock. Touch controls are a gimmick they are no where near as good as a simple knob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back