Apollo Worktops - Gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just reading the blurb on some worktops I am looking at;

http://www.sheridan-uk.com/worktops/apollo-magna-worktops/

They are 600MM worktops and I would like to have the Upstands that are 20mm deep.

It says I need;

Hobs must be integrated into an Apollo® Magna worksurface according to specified guidelines. Where an Apollo® Magna splash back or wall cladding is installed a gap of 50mm (minimum) is required behind an electric hob or 100mm (minimum) for a gas hob. A ‘breakfront’ may be necessary to accommodate this requirement. There must be a minimum of 50mm from the cutout to the front of the worktop and a gap of 120mm between heated cutouts.

With a hob at 52CM https://ao.com/product/pbp6b5b80-bosch-serie-2-gas-hob-stainless-steel-36631-41.aspx

Do you think they mean 150MM to the gas burner OR the absolute edge of the hob?

Sponsored Links
according to what they wrote they require 100mm from the edge of the hob to the splash back. Perhaps the splash back is made of something that melts easily. If the occupier uses a large frying pan the heat can cause issues.

The hob will also have a requirement for a distance from combustible materials something like 50mm.
Better to go for non combustible backsplash at least in the hob area, what's wrong with tiles? We use a piece of quartz worktop to avoid any clearance issues with the hob.

Hi,

Jeez, in the PDF they say 150MM

Hobs must be integrated into an Apollo® Magna worksurface according to specified guidelines. Where an Apollo® Magna splash back or wall cladding is installed, a gap of 50mm (minimum) is required behind an electric hob or 150mm (minimum) for a gas hob. A ʻbreakfrontʼ may be necessary to accommodate this requirement. There must be a minimum of 50mm from the cutout to the front of the worktop and a gap of 120mm between heated cutouts (50mm between sink cuouts).

I will likely have an Upstand not a Splashback..above the upstand will be a glass splash back.

Are they basically saying you can't have a Gashob with this worktop (they are 600MM Deep) OR do they say use glass splash back or tiles.

Yes I'm confused lol.

Sponsored Links
to be honest it sounds like that worktop is not really fit for the purpose, having such heat sensitive material near a gas hob is asking for trouble. Even a timber worktop fares much better despite being combustible.
They are basically saying they won't guarantee any damage caused by having a gas hob unless you comply with their clearances. Whether or not that's ok with you, you have to decide. But watch out for issues with cabinets below, it sounds like you would either need a deep cabinet or pull the whole run away from the wall.
Personally I'd go for tiles or some other material that can stand the heat.
Might be worth getting your post moved to the plumbing and gas forum as the guys there do this day in and day out (press "report" on your post and ask nicely!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back