Height above gas hob.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I know this has appeared a few times over the years but the various threads are a bit dated and seem to point different ways.

Just had a landlord cert done, and the hob has been turned off because there is no 50mm offset for the wall cupboards.

The space over the hob is 840mm high and 600mm wide, the wall units each side are 510mm above the worktop. Hob is 550mm wide and handbook states the clearences must comply with regs.

The same guy has certified 5 out of the last 15 years including the last 2 but he now says it doesn't comply.

The cupboards were replaced several years ago at that height to allow for a lighting pelmit to clear the 450mm rule, as the previous units, but time beat us and the pelmits got left off. Has the 450mm (460mm?) rule gone or even, was it never there?

As an aside and irrellevant to this question, when I purchased the property there was a straight line of wall units and the gas cooker cleared it by less than 10mm, a metal plate had been wedged into that gap to protect the cupboards from the high level gas grill which vented through a 2" slot in the top.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Usually the ultimate reference point is what it says in the hob manufacturers instructions.if they are vague and refer you to the relevant british standard.....then best of luck deciphering those.

If there is no sign if distress tbern it isn't ID (immediately dangerous) so should not have been cut off.
Did he leave a warning notice and label?

Sponsored Links
The underside of the cupboards is discoloured, right around the kitchen but a bit more by the hob. I'm convinced it's not burnt though.

There is a 'do not use' on the hob and another on the meter which I haven't read.

discoloration isint exactly scorching is it ? the dimensions you gave are within the regs so he should not have shut it off, but unfortunately he is the bloke on site, I would get a second opinion.

No it's not schorched, all of the melamine had discoloured by the general lack of cleaning, it's just a bit worse near the cooking.

Are the regs still 750mm over the hob and 450 or 460mm for adjacent units to the vertical edge of the hob?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/Gas/landlords...usly-used-domestic-gas-cooking-appliances.pdf

page 2 gives useful info on minimum clearances generally

and is a document in the public domain
Thankyou that is a lovely document, concise and in simple terms.

I remembered it as 750 & 450mm but that was from 15 years ago when I last 'knew'. I'm happy I was only 10mm out but I wish it'd been the other way!

I'll speak to his boss about it now. Boss being the two people who run a co-op of SE gas/plumbing guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back