Fitting a replacement Electric Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My oven broke (Ariston FV37GB) and as it was beyond repair (parts no longer avail) Ive sorted out an insurance claim and ordered a new Bosch Single Electric Oven (model HBA73B550B). Current oven is directly wired into a wallplate directly behind the oven i.e. no plug and I have an oven isolation switch with a big red button on it. House is 9yrs old so modern electrics. Im assuming its a case of just taking off wallbox faceplate, disconnect wiring of old oven and wiring up the the new oven in the same way or is there anything else I should be aware of?

I ask as I called one chap up and he wanted £49 to do it. Me being a tightwad thinks thats rather steep for what is most likely a 5-10min job at most.

Main reason I wanted to check is that its a Pyrolitic Self Cleaning Oven so can heat up to 480c so am guessing it probably uses more power than a standard oven to achieve that. Cant find any decent info on Bosch website to confirm power consumption, ampage etc.

Any advice would be appreciated as its delivered this Saturday and after having no oven for 4 weeks it would be nice to get it working this weekend.

Cheers
Simon

Sponsored Links
And if you signed up for the £49, and anything more than connecting up the wires was needed, they wouldn't do it.

What size is the circuit cable, and what rating is the MCB?

You really do need to find out the rating of the oven (the real one, not the pointless kWh energy rating), and whether the instructions state a maximum rating for the MCB. If you can't find it online or from Bosch, try asking on the appliances forum.

Thanks for the response. Yes its a bit of a minefield and differing info everywhere you turn.

This is the info from the docs Bosch sent me. Dont know if that covers your question re: rating:

Energy efficiency rating A
Energy Consumption (kWh): Conventional 0.89
Energy consumption hot air (kWh) 0.79
Time to heat a standard load (mins) 47.5
Total connected load (W) 3650
Supply voltage (V) 220-240
Cable length 150
Plug type -

Simon

Energy efficiency rating A
Energy Consumption (kWh): Conventional 0.89
Energy consumption hot air (kWh) 0.79
Time to heat a standard load (mins) 47.5
Total connected load (W) 3650
Supply voltage (V) 220-240
Cable length 150
Plug type -

Simon
A typical European product - designed with the expectation of 16A circuits, and Schuko/CEE 7/7 hybrid plugs & sockets rated at 16A.

Could not be plugged in in the UK with a regular BS 1363 plug, as it's too high a load.

Your existing circuit, if it is a dedicated cooker circuit will almost certainly be able to cope with it, but you might have a problem if the manufacturer requires a circuit rated at no more than 16A.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the reply. Well I believe its on its own circuit as certainly terminated at the fuse box individually.

The £49 was a quote from an appliance repair chap so not sure on his electrician credentials as nothing on his business card. Out of curiosity I contacted a local certified electrician from check a trade and he came back and said sounds like its a simple swap "as long as" everything is in order and no extra work required then they "estimate" a price of £78 + vat. Even more ouch! Thats a third of the price of your average oven.

Ill check everything in a bit more detail when the oven arrives on Sat. The manual says it comes provided with a power cable that has a click in connection to the back of the oven so I only have to wire to the wall outlet.

Simon

Haha yeah if only. Gotta last longer than my Ariston did tho :)

Bosch support reckon power cable is included with Oven. Retailer (Boots Online) say not. Bosch say if not delivered with it then call them and will ship one out.

My oven circuit terminates on a Square D MCB labelled 132EB6 which is apparently 32amp so is fine for 16amp oven.

Just hope cable is included tomorrow otherwise more days without oven grrrrrr.

Simon

Oven . . . Retailer (Boots Online)

What?? You bought your oven from a chemist.

Is it any wonder you're having trouble?

There exists a breed of shops that specifically sell electrical appliances. They are normally found in out of town shopping parks. Some names you might find are "Currys" (not an Indian resteraunt, a popular misconception) and "Comet" (not an asteroid, another popular misconception).

These retailers have been selling electrical goods for years. They are by no means perfect, but they will be a darn sight better at it than an online Chemist. Dont forget about aftersales. They can be shifty about repairing stuff, but you can normally get them to budge. Boots on the other hand, who knows?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back