fitting a round knob to a mortice latch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought several mortice latches from Homebase and they look like your standard type with regard to dimensions and operation. however I also bought two different styles of mortice knob to go with them and in each case when you attempt to screw the knob surround to the door it fouls on the mortice latch. It seems to me you would need a door about 70mm thick for knobs tofit. Handles are not a problem as the fixing hole dimensions for these fall outside the footprint of the mortice latch. Has anyone else had this problem. It seems to me that all mortice knob fixing screws are going to foul the latch but there are plenty out there for sale so am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Get some shorter screws for the escutcheon. The screws supplied with the ceramic escutcheons I fitted were about No.4 X 5/8" or 3/4". I replaced them with some No. 4 X 1/4" screws, and all was well.

There is no 'pull' against the escutcheon, unlike a lever set, where you pull against the fixing screws to open the door. The screws just stop it rattling about loose behind the doorknob.

Mortice latches often have a clear hole or slot through the body of the latch that will take a chicago screw to clamp the escutcheons either side together if the knob set is of that design.
The hole is often absent from the shorter latches because:-
1. There wouldn't be room for all the bits inside the latch, and
2.- fitting a knob on a 'short' latch tends to bring your knuckles uncomfortably close to the door jamb when you open the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back