Fitting a shower

I am of cousre "assuming" no other factor in to calcs and the cable is clipped direct
A bit irresponsible when the OP clearly has no idea that installation methods and other factors affect current carrying capacity, let alone what the factors are.

And particularly irresponsible when they are talking about a fusebox and 30A devices which means that there's a high probability that 6mm² can't be used for a 9.5kW shower over any distance and with any installation method, as it's only rated at 34A even when clipped direct.

Sponsored Links
Hey guys you seem to just be proving to each other what can and cant be done.
Then that should be of use to you, as you want to know what can and can't be done.

My shower would be about 25 to 30 feet from my fuse box. Nearly straight up above.My question now is would there be something in the loft to feed new wire down to the consumer unit.
It's your loft - why don't you go and look? I think you're asking about a pre-existing cable route, in which case the answer is almost certainly no, but you might as well check before cutting chases into walls.

I don't seem to have a 45 amp fuse the biggest is 30amp do I need to buy another consumer unit.I have no free slots left.
So irrespective of what rating it needs to be, what would you connect the shower to if you have no unused positions?

Please be honest with yourself, even if not with us.

Do you really think that you know anywhere near enough to safely do work of this magnitude?

I am of cousre "assuming" no other factor in to calcs and the cable is clipped direct
A bit irresponsible when the OP clearly has no idea that installation methods and other factors affect current carrying capacity, let alone what the factors are.

And particularly irresponsible when they are talking about a fusebox and 30A devices which means that there's a high probability that 6mm² can't be used for a 9.5kW shower over any distance and with any installation method, as it's only rated at 34A even when clipped direct.
A bit irresponsible maybe!
But the information was correct.
I did advise having an electrician to do the job, and the fuse rating or type had not been given at the time of my post.
I could have just answered
"Yes" and been contenet that I had answered the question set by the OP ;)
That about sums it up!

the fuse rating or type had not been given at the time of my post.
That's true - I'd missed that - apologies.

I could have just answered
"Yes" and been contenet that I had answered the question set by the OP ;)
The question asked by the OP was "is the any way to feed the wire from the loft to the fuse box."

It had not been answered, and "Yes" is a perfectly correct answer.

Problem, of course, is that the OP didn't ask any other questions relating to very important issues (possibly of life/death importance). Possibly because he has no idea that the other issues even exist?

That about sums it up!
But it's all vital information for him - including whether or not the 0.725 factor for 3036 fuses applies....

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the apology BAS much appreciated.
and agree with you totally, as info was a bit vague and you did indeed answer the OPs question.
I made may calculation, on where I understood the question was heading.
That it was a new circuit, so didn't take any fuse rating or types in to consideration :oops: I thought that with it being new that we would not be looking at using and existing spare fuse. :oops:
Sometime the whole picture is not painted, until the canvas is full.

Yes you will need a new CU - extra expense and you will definitely need an electrician for that to do the job properly. How are you heating the water at the moment because electric showers are not cheap to run :?:

So where is your 20m plucked from?
It was "plucked" as a reasonable measurement that would hopefully allow the route to be covered without effecting the voltage drop and still allowing 6.00mm cable to be used. (which it does, allowing for no other factors in the calculation) and this calculation is correct.
Not something the OP had mentioned , if you had read my post you would have seen I did mention the question of distance of the run, which was answered in a later post.
I did state less than 20m which covers a distance between 0-20m

I hope this satisfies your query?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back