Installing an Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is a plumbing and electric query - but a bit more electric I think!

I've currently got a shower that is a mixer system that feeds from a hot water tank and a cold mains supply. It's old and clunky, and I hate having to keep a hot tank of water available, just for a quick shower. As the shower is used a lot, I wanted to check an electric shower would be the best choice.

My query is that I currently have no wiring from the fuse box to the bathroom and wanted to check if this was likely to be a major job. I want to avoid seeing trunking running up my stairs, and that a competent electrician will be able to hide the wiring beneath floorboards, behind skirting etc.

What should I look out for from the elctrician I use?
How long would the job be likely to take? (It's a small house with fuse box at bttom of stairs, bathroom at top of stairs.)

I have little electrical knowledge, so replies with as little jargon in as possible would be much appreciated!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Your electrician should be able to advise on all of this, the spark won't be able to hide cables behind skirting boards though!! Your best bet is to ask around your friends/neighbours for any recommended sparks.

Hoopy said:
My query is that I currently have no wiring from the fuse box to the bathroom and wanted to check if this was likely to be a major job.
As 123 said, this isn't easy to determine without seeing the job. There may also be more to it than you realise - you might need an additional consumer unit and an upgrade to earthing and bonding.

I want to avoid seeing trunking running up my stairs, and that a competent electrician will be able to hide the wiring...
A good domestic spark will always conceal as much of the cable run as possible. However, the most obvious run - to the shower unit itself - is often the most difficult bit. As before, hard to say without seeing it.

What should I look out for from the elctrician I use?
I would recommend you use somebody registered (with NICEIC, NAPIT, Elecsa, etc) because this is notifiable work under the building regulations.

How long would the job be likely to take?
With reasonable access it should be do-able in a day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back