Using electric shower dedicated circuit for 3A power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I have a quick question regarding what is possible and what isn't regarding the wiring side of a power shower. I currently have an electric shower (which is rubbish) on its own dedicated circuit marked 'shower' on the fuse box, with a 45A (I think) fuse. It also has a pull-type switch (less than 0.6m from the shower actually, which is naughty I believe) in the bathroom. As far as I know, nothing else is powered from the curcuit. I want to replace the electric shower (cold supply only) with a power shower (integreal pump, hot and cold water supply), in order to upgrade my showering experience from 'luke-warm dribble' to 'real shower'. I realise this means extending the hot water supply, which is fine, but I also need to supply the new power shower with electricity for the integrated pump.

The power shower is supposed to have a 3A fused spur connection from the ring main, which is all well and good except the ring main goes nowhere near where the shower is going to be. Since the electric shower is going to be removed, could the 45A fuse be replaced with a 3A fuse, the current pull switch replaced with a 3A pull switch, and an RCD added to the circuit, so that the power shower could be run from the old electric shower circuit? Obviously, an appropriate label would have to be added to the fuse box. Is this setup feasible? It seems safer to me than (a) leaving the current shower circuit unused and therefore unmonitored for potential issues and (b) trailing a ring main spur all the way round the attic / bathroom floor to where it would need to be, although I'm not an electrician and so may be missing something!

I should point out here that I'm currently just working out what is possible before contacting an electrician, and not planning to do anything dangerous myself! I just like to know what I'm talking about before contacting local tradesmen....

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Matt[/i]

Sponsored Links
Yes, in principle.

The 45A (I think) fuse in the fusebox can remain as it is. It is there to protect the big thick cable that goes to your bathroom.

The end of the cable (currently going to the pullswitch) can terminate in a fused connection unit with a 3A fuse in it. Your electrician can determine if he could just put an FCU as a replacement for the switch (in the ceiling) or to relocate it.
it will depend on a number of factors including ceiling height and environment. I would move it outside the bathroom f it were me.

If you do not have an RCD protecting the shower circuit the FCU could be a combined FCU & RCD.

Its a reasonably easy job but should be done by a registered spark as it is notifiable work (Building Regs Part P and all that).

Thanks for your advise. Now you mention it, I'm fairly sure the fuse box does have an RCD trip for each circuit, so that should be fine. I suppose leaving the circuit on a 45A fuse is no more or less dangerous than it was when running the electric shower, but I just thought it might have been sensible to reduce the available current to something nearer what the current demand would be... No point making an easy job difficult though if it isn't necessary! I think I'll definitely demand that the pull switch be moved to the other side of the bathroom or into the bedroom though - where it is at the moment is well within very easy grab of the shower :( If it's going to be moved, it may as well be a RCD protected spur as well I suppose - better safe than sorry.

As it happens, I don't have to worry about Part P (one of the benefits of devolution), but I totally take the point about safe electricity in the bathroom. I have a friend of a friend thats a spark, so if you recon it will be an easy job I'll ply him with beer into giving me a hand.

Many thanks again for your help!

Matt

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back