Electric shower to power shower wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At some point (by previous owners) the shower in my ensuite has been changed from an electric heated shower (where it heats its own water) to a pumped power shower (with hot and cold feeds). I suspect it was wired up by the plumber as they've done away with the existing 6mm feed from the CU on its own 32a MCB, and instead put a 3a FCU in the loft connected to the nearest lighting circuit.

I can't imagine that complies with anything at all, especially as there is no local isolation, so I want to put it right. I'm thinking of disconnecting the feed to the FCU in the loft and connecting it to the outgoing side of the now defunct shower switch. Is there a better way of doing this? I can't see that there's such a thing as a fused shower switch which would have been perfect for the job.

It would look something like this :-

32a breaker (Shower) => Shower pull switch => 3a FCU in loft => Shower

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
What you propose to do is fine, as long as you have the 3a fuse fitted in the FCU. Is the supply RCD protected ? it should be.
If not, you can install a rcd FCU.

Regards,

DS

Yep, its an old Wylex single RCD board with the early NSB breakers with coloured switches. Just thought of one potential problem, I suppose the cable between the shower switch and FCU would have to be 6mm, and I'm not sure if I've got any...hopefully the old feed to the old shower is still there for me to scavenge a bit.

Does it count as local isolation when it's in the loft which isn't easily accessible? And is it acceptable to be fed off a lighting circuit?

Sponsored Links
You could dispense with the shower switch altogether. Most shower pumps are permanently powered in any event. The FCU can provide isolation if needed.

But FCUs are not used or needed on lighting circuits. If you want isolation use a DP switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back