electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an electric shower in my bathroom on its own supply 30 amp from the consumer unit, it is operated via a double pole pull switch, is it at all possible for me to wire in a shower light and timed fan from this so all come on at the same time? or is it a no no and will need a seperate lighting circuit via a fcu to power both?? :?:

Sponsored Links
Jonah, there is a way to do this using contactors and a fused spur, if you honestly beleiev you can do it say so, HOWEVER, you really will need to understand what your doing. It is a system I have installed personally, and my guys install on a regular basis.

The wiring seems complex, it isn't really, but you will need to have a good knowledge of electrical circuits to fully understand this.

If you interested... shout

ban-all-sheds said:
OOI - why contactors rather than just multiple cables from the switch?

Many reasons, safety, practicality and actually getting multiples into a pull cord is nigh on impossible!!

You do not need a 45A pull cord to do it either.

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
Jonah, there is a way to do this using contactors and a fused spur, if you honestly beleiev you can do it say so, HOWEVER, you really will need to understand what your doing. It is a system I have installed personally, and my guys install on a regular basis.

The wiring seems complex, it isn't really, but you will need to have a good knowledge of electrical circuits to fully understand this.

If you interested... shout

ive done some wiringand have used fused spurs before dont know about contactors though, im still interested in having a look......

jonah said:
ive done some wiringand have used fused spurs before dont know about contactors though, im still interested in having a look......

I'll sort out a wiring diagram for you to act as a Guide.

FWL_Engineer said:
Many reasons, safety, practicality and actually getting multiples into a pull cord is nigh on impossible!!
But as discussed on an earlier thread, only 1 is a fat one, the other could be 1.5 or 1.0mm..

You do not need a 45A pull cord to do it either.
Now that is very true - 45/50A pull switches are ugly bvggers.

Ban, the reason for not using a 45A pull cord is more to do with simplicity and practicality that looks..although I agree they are the Geof Capes of the pull cords! :)

When I post the wiring diagram you will see what I mean.

I'm creating a new one from scratch as our scanner is playing silly beggers and refuses to scan!

jonah, I'll upload the drawing later and post it here for you print off.

OOI - have you (or anyone) ever seen flush, square pull-cord light switches as a neater alternative to round surface-mount ones?

BAN

No , but if you have a circular pullcord switch that has besabox fixing centres, then you can buy a round drylining box, the sort you can fix a ceiling rose to, and fix the switch (less the pattress, of course) to that.

ban-all-sheds said:
OOI - have you (or anyone) ever seen flush, square pull-cord light switches as a neater alternative to round surface-mount ones?

I have seen square pullcords, however I do not know their rating or their manufacturer as I have never had personal contact with them.

I think that Crabtree used to make one many moons ago, but I dare say it has been dropped from their range..bit like their website :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back