Whirlpool bath electrics

P

paulv1972

Ok lets begin...
I have just removed an electric shower which from the supply came through a hager consumer unit with a 32 amp MCB it went up stairs to a 45 amp DP pull cord switch located in the bathroom then to the shower the wire is thick twin and earth grey cable i think it might be 2.5mm.
I now want to use this circuit to wire up my new whirlpool bath it says in the manual it needs a 230 V AC single phase 13A supply through a RCD not exceeding 30mA then fed via a double pole isolator with min gap of 3mm in all poles with 1.5mm cable.
Is the 32amp MCB ok to use and the pull switch and how do i use the 1.5mm cable from the whirlpool when the rest of the circuit is on 2.5mm cable?

Sponsored Links
YOU HAVE NOT GOT A CLUE ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING

Shower on 2.5mm!!!! what is it 500W??? (more likely 6 or 10mm)

Leave it alone and get yourself an electrician before you do something VERY dangerous.

ALL this work is notafiable!!!!

The wiring you have in place may be suitable. But the whirlpool manufacturer says you must have RCD protection on the circuit, which by the sounds of things, you do not have.

I think the gap in your knowledge is a bit big for you to be safely attempting this yourself. At least get an electrician in for a quote and ask him/her what is to be done.

There will be others along later that will post links to the books that you need to read before doing this work. It is about two weeks reading, so when do you need it done by and have you got that much time available for study.[/u]

Like i said i think it was 2.5 for the shower but looks more like 10mm but i was just wondering if it was possible to run it off the old electric shower set up, but after reading posts in other forums it sounds like i'm better off with a spur off the lights circuit and wiring it up to 13a rcd fcu outside the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Like i said i think it was 2.5 for the shower but looks more like 10mm but i was just wondering if it was possible to run it off the old electric shower set up

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but not being able to tell 10.0mmsq from 2.5mmsq is akin to not knowing your head from your elbow.

but after reading posts in other forums it sounds like i'm better off with a spur off the lights circuit and wiring it up to 13a rcd fcu outside the bathroom.

That is an equally bad idea, and I would be interested to see where you saw this recommended.

Ok i'll start again before i call in the profesionals i have a whirlpool bath with 1.5 cable i need to run it from the supply through a 13amp rcd with a double pole isolator what is the best way to go about this?

By getting a qualified electrician in.

Seriously, giving advice on how to mix water and electrics to someone who suggests connecting a 13amp FCU to a lighting circuit would be remarkably silly.

Someone will be along shortly to point you to all the Part P regulations which mean this is notifiable work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back