Whirlpool Bath Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before i notify building control i want to get my plan sorted and would appreciate some guidance.

I plan to run 1.5mm T&E in surface mount 20mm plastic conduit from under the bath to a cupboard within the bathroom where the CU is.

I will wire directly into the junction box on the whirlpool bath.

refering to the pictures, can i run the cable within the void of the stud wall and enter the 20mm conduit already in place for the underfloor heating?

The CU has a seperate RCBO rated at 16A which i would like to use for the UFH (6 amps) & whirpool bath (4 amps). Is this ok?

If yes, is it correct to install a double pole fused switch between the RCBO & whirpool bath?

The UFH is swithced & controlled by a digital programmer. Should there also be a fused double pole switch for isolation or is it acceptable to wire the programmer direct to the RCBO?

Sponsored Links
Firstly I would check the manufacturers instruction that come with the appliance as these will give you the information you required.
Be aware when cable is run in conduit, that a de-rating factor will calculated to the cables current carrying capacity, also if this is then routed through thermal insulation, the capacity of the cable will again be reduced. But 1.5mm T&E should be ample.
The appliance will need an FCU to down fuse to a more suitable rating.

Firstly I would check the manufacturers instruction that come with the appliance as these will give you the information you required.
Be aware when cable is run in conduit, that a de-rating factor will calculated to the cables current carrying capacity, also if this is then routed through thermal insulation, the capacity of the cable will again be reduced. But 1.5mm T&E should be ample.

Thanks for your advice. The bath will arrive next week so i will take a look at the instructions.

With ref to running the 1.5mm T&E cable within the bottom of the stud wall, is this acceptable under the regs?

Thanks for your advice. The bath will arrive next week so i will take a look at the instructions.

With ref to running the 1.5mm T&E cable within the bottom of the stud wall, is this acceptable under the regs?

anyone?

Sponsored Links
Without looking at your post in a lot of detail - so I may be missing something - the bottom of the wall is not a safe zone so your cable would need to be 50mm from the surface, or in steel conduit.

Without looking at your post in a lot of detail - so I may be missing something - the bottom of the wall is not a safe zone so your cable would need to be 50mm from the surface, or in steel conduit.

Understood. I will then run the conduit through the wall and along the otherside of the wall and into the exisiting conduit.

With ref to the 1st picture, is it acceptable to end the conduit where i plan and run the cable loose to the whirlpool bath?

It's a little difficult to picture exactly what you are doing, in regards to location of cables to appliances and accessories, so a little difficult to say if you are in the permitted safe zones with cable routes.
But to help you with you cable runs these links should help.
walls
floors
Also be aware that any connection between cables, within accessories and junction boxes must be easily accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance. You can use the MF type junction boxes which will allow the joint not to be accessible.

It's a little difficult to picture exactly what you are doing, in regards to location of cables to appliances and accessories, so a little difficult to say if you are in the permitted safe zones with cable routes.
But to help you with you cable runs these links should help.
walls
floors
Also be aware that any connection between cables, within accessories and junction boxes must be easily accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance. You can use the MF type junction boxes which will allow the joint not to be accessible.

Thanks for the information.

In picture 1 the bath will be positioned on the chipboard on the left hand side of the picture. The junction box on the bath sits just behind the bath panel, about 1m away from where i plan to end the conduit.

If the junction box is easily accessible(this means once the panel is off it is visible and allowance are made so it can be tested and easily maintained.
Also take in to consideration the environment in which this connection is being made and any risk to water ingress.

If the junction box is easily accessible(this means once the panel is off it is visible and allowance are made so it can be tested and easily maintained.
Also take in to consideration the environment in which this connection is being made and any risk to water ingress.

Can i run the cable un-fixed between the JB and conduit (distance approx 1m)?

Other than clipping it to the floor, i can't think of any other methods.

If this is the cable that is going to the appliance under the bath, it should be okay as the floor will support the cable from any stress, there are specified distance for the clipping of cables but as this would be supported and will not create a trip hazard. I don't see a problem. Belt and braces would be clip direct to floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back