Adding wiring for a new electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wanted to ask you experts what's involved and how much it's likely to cost to have wiring put in for an electric shower in my existing bathroom.

Currently I have a mixer shower which has packed up so I want to make the switch to an electric wall unit (partially because my hot water pressure is pants) there is not provision for an electric shower currently so it'll have to be put in from scratch, I imagine chasing some cables up to the loft and in through the bathroom ceiling?

Will this be a real pain in a bathroom that's already tiled ( I don't mind replacing a few in the immediate region where the shower will be) and how difficult will it be to get the new wiring from the fuse box downstairs?

Clearly I'll get a pro to do this, could you helpful people give me a ball park for how much this might set me back and how much collateral damage there might be?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I wanted to ask you experts what's involved and how much it's likely to cost to have wiring put in for an electric shower in my existing bathroom.

Currently I have a mixer shower which has packed up so I want to make the switch to an electric wall unit (partially because my hot water pressure is pants) there is not provision for an electric shower currently so it'll have to be put in from scratch, I imagine chasing some cables up to the loft and in through the bathroom ceiling?

Will this be a real pain in a bathroom that's already tiled ( I don't mind replacing a few in the immediate region where the shower will be) and how difficult will it be to get the new wiring from the fuse box downstairs?

Clearly I'll get a pro to do this, could you helpful people give me a ball park for how much this might set me back and how much collateral damage there might be?

Many thanks

What is the other side of the shower?

If there's a cupboard or a hollow void may be the cable can be hidden in there.

Getting from the mains to the bathroom will depend on what type of property you live in. Where possible the cable will be concealed under floors, in loft spaces and in tall fitted cupboards.

Any wiring that cannot be concealed will probably be placed in plastic runking. The isolation switch for the shower can, typically, be a pull cord in the bathroom, or a wall switch outside the bathroom.

RCD protection and an available fuseway will be required, so if you don't have this futher work will be needed at the fuse box end.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back