fitting a smaller radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all - planning on swapping a radiator for a smaller one this weekend. I thought it might be worth explaining what my plan is on here in case i'm going to make a major cock up.

The house is on three floors and the radiator in question is on the middle floor. The central heating is via a gas boiler (glow worm flexi com sx) which also heats a mains pressure water cyclinder (dual coil linked to a solar panel).

The boiler and tank are under the stairs and there are literally pipes in all directions. However there is some pipework coming from the mains pressure cylinder which lead to an a closed tap attached to some flexi hose which is connected to a non return valve.... and then on to the boiler. I am assuming this is the filling loop for the central heating.

The plan is to turn the central heating off.
Remove the radiator.
I am assuming that the water from all the water from the radiators on floor two and floor three will come out.
I'll then fit the new radiator and re-fill the system via the filling loop. Bleeding the air and on until it reach's the recommended pressure.

Am i on the right lines or about to blow up the house ?

Thanks in advance

CB

Sponsored Links
The existing radiator is right up against me lads bed and the room got reduced in size a couple of years ago so we don't need the same size radiator.... no real reason to change but the wife wanted a smaller radiator and in an attempt to accrue passout chips, i'm complying with her wishes.... it seems a simple job but i've thought that before.. :rolleyes:

like a lot of plumbing and heating work a lot is conceptually simple...but it is riddled with pitfalls too, and thats where you may become a cropper, all for the sake of a £200-£300..

Sponsored Links
Pipework alterations, selecting the correct size rad, airlocks, leaks, the list goes on :rolleyes:
Don't mean to put you off and I'm all for people having a go.
Good luck :D

I am hoping the flood will not be of biblical proportions... I wanted to get away without draining the whole system... There is one small radiator on the floor above and two others on the same floor... I was hoping to catch the contents of these when I took my radiator off ... Is that not sensible ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back