Fitting a switch to a cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I have an enlarger for my darkroom and it has a fairly thick length of cable going to the plug.
The problem I have is that the very nature of an enlarger requires that you can switch it on and off when you need to. The problem is that there is no switch in the cable, just a plug on the end. The switch has to be fairly close to the enlarger. My question is can I fit one and how is a switch wired when it's 3 core wire.
One other thing that may be important is that the cable goes through what they call a voltage stabiliser which is a box about the size of a standard egg box.
For non-photographers an enlarger holds your negatives and shines a light bulb though them then through a lens and on to a baseboard and is used for making prints from negs.
Thanks for any help you can give

Sponsored Links
What's the power rating of the enlarger?

Can't you install a switched socket near to it and plug it in there?

Why the **** doesn't it have its own on/off switch??

Edited.

What about a neat timer unit ?

ACET.jpg

From www.novadarkroom.com/acatalog/TA_Enlarger_Timers.html+enlarger+timer&hl=en

P

Sponsored Links
Or of course you could fit a switch to the cable, like on an electric blanket and have the switch next to your enlarger. When you open up the switch you will probablely find 6 terminals ie 2 for each wire.
On the other hand the switch only makes or breaks the live wire so it might be that the neutral and earth wires can be fitted without having to cut them and fit them to terminals to re-connect them.
It will all make sense when you open up the switch.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

but the rating of the switch is important which is why i suggested the one i did, it is rated at 20 amps, and a plugtop is 13 A max

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back