Wiring for Three Lights into Two x 3 way switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I asked for help recently on how to wire 2 lights into 2 x 2 way switches. Had a positive response and was about to carry out the work when......
my wife (bless her) changed her mind and now thinks we need three ceiling lights instead of two as two look lost on the ceiling of our newly enlarged room.
I had just finished running the 3 core + e around the loft etc for 2 lights when she raised this.
I`m stumped as to how to wire this up. Can anyone help please?
I want to wire up two x 3 way switches so we can operate any of the three lights from either end of the room independant of the others.
Grateful for any advice anyone can offer.
Mike :confused:

Sponsored Links
You have understood how to do 2 lights each on two way yes?
Repeat exactly the same logic for an extra light ;)

BTW, I take it you mean 3 GANG not 3 WAY ;)

Fellas
Thanks for replies. Yes, I mean 2 switches each with 3 gangs.
I thought it might be as simple as you say about following the same logic as 2 way switches but this will mean I have 3 runs of 3 core + e plus the normal T&E cable entering each back box, 11 Cores plus 4 Earths. This seemed a lot to my unknowledgable brain.
If you can confirm this is correct i`ll be very grateful.
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Thanks for advice, now that i`ve got three x 3 core + E cables running from switch to switch backbox`s i`m unsure about where to run the third light switch cable to.
Do I run it into either of the switches? This seems logical but this will mean 18 wires in total (inc earth wires) into one of the bacbox`s.
Again please excuse my ignorance but is this correct?
I`ve nipped out and bought 35mm backbox`s as i dont think the 25mm i`ve put in will be deep enough.
Any advice welcomed.
Thanks
Mike :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back