Switch wire. 2 of 3 are live!

I think this fairly major mistake is one of the reasons why some of the replies have been "unfriendly".

Looking at the terminal block in your "room 1" photo in post #28, what would you call each of the four connections, from left to right?
First: live
Second: ???
Third: ???
Fourth: earth
Second: switched live wire
Third: 2 black neutrals

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes, you can normally swap live and neutral and disconnect the earth and things will function normally.
But that doesn't mean that you should do that!

The point is that this does not explain why your lights aren't working, but it's an error that should be corrected.

Red/black is old and brown/blue is new.

Brown is live and blue neutral (old). Changed to red live and black neutral, green of course is earth.
The photo in #28 is no longer valid. I changed the wiring: brown to switched live and blue to neutral.

Yes, you can normally swap live and neutral and disconnect the earth and things will function normally.
But that doesn't mean that you should do that!

The point is that this does not explain why your lights aren't working, but it's an error that should be corrected.

Red/black is old and brown/blue is new.
Of course I got that the other way round! Old age creeping in...

Attachments

• wikipedia-wiring-colours.jpg
    wikipedia-wiring-colours.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 92
Tested between what and what.
Note that the low voltage reading is often due to induced voltages on the wiring.
It often fools people who don't understand what they are doing…;)

Latest. A voltage test in Room 2 shows only 35 volts on the multimeter.

There are at least a couple of possible reasons for that sort of reading:

- It's the result of capacitive coupling or resistive leakage in the cables. A tiny current is leaking from one wire in a cable to a neighbouring wire; you only see a reading on your meter because the meter is very sensitive. This is normal. You'll probably see that the voltage fluctuates quite a lot as e.g. you move the wires around. One way of making it go away is to connect a load, i.e. a lamp.

- It's because you have got things connected in series, and the 240 volts mains is divided across those things, with this one seeing 35 V and the others seeing (about) 205 V.

Tell us exactly what you're measuring. A photo might help.

There are at least a couple of possible reasons for that sort of reading:

- It's the result of capacitive coupling or resistive leakage in the cables. A tiny current is leaking from one wire in a cable to a neighbouring wire; you only see a reading on your meter because the meter is very sensitive. This is normal. You'll probably see that the voltage fluctuates quite a lot as e.g. you move the wires around. One way of making it go away is to connect a load, i.e. a lamp.

- It's because you have got things connected in series, and the 240 volts mains is divided across those things, with this one seeing 35 V and the others seeing (about) 205 V.

Tell us exactly what you're measuring. A photo might help.
My measurement is from the reds to the switched live wire with the wall switch ON. Here is the photo.

Attachments

• Room 2.jpg
    Room 2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 101
Tested between what and what.
Note that the low voltage reading is often due to induced voltages on the wiring.
It often fools people who don't understand what they are doing…;)
Tested between the reds and the switched live wire with the wall switch ON. I know I don't fully understand but I am trying to the best of my ability.

That's wrong - you should always use the neutral as the reference to test from.
Test from neutral to live etc.

This is with the circuit on at the fuse box, is it?

What do you measure between each terminal and earth?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back