Ceiling lamp wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Little problem with trying to wire a ceiling light. The wiring first of all is very bizarre with 3 reds twisted together, 2 blacks twisted together, 1 stand alone black and another yellow/brown wire.

Ive put the 3 reds into the live terminal and the 2 blacks into the neutral terminal and the light comes on just fine, but the switch wont work! The live switch wire I am guessing is the stand alone black one. The light im fitting itself is weird in that it ONLY has 2 terminals - live and neutral. So I am stuck as to where I should put the switch wire - ive tried putting it in along with the reds but switch does not work and tried it with the neutrals and the trip switch went - any suggestions would be much much appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
“Little problem with trying to wire a ceiling light. The wiring first of all is very bizarre with 3 reds twisted together, 2 blacks twisted together, 1 stand alone black and another yellow/brown wire.” That seems standard!
The two black will go to blue and single black to brown and the three reds go to loop and don’t connect to lamp. There should be four connections on your lamp Earth, Switch, Loop, and Neutral but some cheap imports don’t have right connector block which you would need to change to a four way block.
Eric

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back