Dull lamp on dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced two ceiling pendants, matching the existing wiring set up.

One works fine but the other just glows dully. They are operated by a 2-gang dimmer switch - push and twist. I've checked all the wiring and everything seems secure.

The functioning lamp has two black wires twisted together in the neutral terminal, one red in the live terminal and an earth wire terminate din a block.

The dull lamp has a red wire in the live terminal, a terminated live switch, a black wire in the neutral terminal, and a terminated earth.

The Dimmer is Crabtree (DV 21911?) and the knob controlling the dull lamp connects to a black box (transformer? ) marked CPU. This is earthed, with a blue wire linking it to a transparent box from the C terminal to the C terminal , and twisted together with a red wire when it meets the transparent box. There is another red wire in L1 terminal? of both boxes.

Is it that the dimmer switch has failed and stuck at dim or is there a more fundamental wiring problem? I have tried all types of bulb and fitting an dthey all have dull results (halogen, incandescent) flash (non-dimmable eco bulbs) or don't light at all (dimmable eco bulbs).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Replace the dimmer with a standard switch temporarily & see if the fitting works.

If so, the dimmer is kaput.

If not, the fitting or lamp may be kaput.

And while you are at it replace all of those twisted-togethers with proper joints.

Sponsored Links
You could also have inadvertently wired the "switch" wire as the neutral and ended up with a light running in series (i.e. half power).

Seen it, been there, got the t-shirt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back