kitchen and bathroom lights

gs3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to replace the old ceiling rose in the kitchen, and was shocked to see the number of wires hanging from the ceiling. I managed to identify the following: Two black twisted and red sleeved (switch wire), two black twisted (permanently live), one single black, and three black twisted (neutral ones). I connected them to the ceiling rose: Switch wire, and live one from light bulb into the live terminal. The two black permannetly live into the loop terminal and the three neutral ones and the neutral from the light bulb into the neutral terminal. The situation is that I have the light in the litchen but when I switch it off there is no light in the bathroom. When the kitchin light is on, I can normally switch the bathroom light on and off.

Any help is much appreciated please!

Sponsored Links
you have wired it wrong.

see sticky for refernce to see how it should be done.

sond like one feeding bathroom you have connected it wrong

Looked at the reference, page 3,Two way switching,Standard method. The diagram looks pretty much the same as my connection. The difference is that in my connection the switch wire is twisted and one wire goes to kitchen and the second one goes to the bathroom. Also, the neutral wire is made of 3 twisted wires, and in your diagram you have two black neutral ones. What am I missing here? What is confusing me is that it worked fine with the old rose (I had spotlight there), but foolishly I didn't make note of the connections. Also, there are no earth wires anywhere.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back