celing rose lighting conundrum???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there.
have just removed a ceiling rose to fit a new light fitting.
in the light fitting there is a block for live,neutral and earth.this block is connected to the metal round fitting that is then connected to the clamp attached to the ceiling.the wire that connects to the bulb holder is white with a brown and blue wire attached to live and neutral accordingly at the block above.
from the ceiling i have the following wires coming down from three separate grey sleeves. three reds and three blacks.also there is one separate grey covered wire.?? i checked inside the light switch for the room and it would appear that this is that wire?? we connected the three reds to the live terminal and the three blacks to the neutral and the grey one to the earth initially.the light stayed on despite the switch being turned on and off. we have now disconnected this and tried the three blacks in to the neutral, the g separate grey into the live and the three reds in to the separate block provided.the light turns on for 2 secs then wont work.the fuse does not low either.can anyone help please??
:(

Sponsored Links
Can you send a photo of the ceiling light and inside the switch?

Is there just one light switch for the light?

Is there just one light in the room?

Can you elaborate on the bit about the light staying on for two seconds.

Can you see a red or black covering inside the grey single wire?

Any earth cables at the ceiling?

unfortunately cant send a photo.
the ceiling light is a white metal bowl with a metal fixing welded to it with a 3 block connector attached with live,neutral & earth.the wire from the light bulb has brown and a blue wire attached to live and neutral accordingly.
there is one light switch on the wall; however there was an old light in the recess that was disconnected some time ago as was not used.
i cant see another colour in the plain grey wire. there are no earth cables that i can see as all the ceiling roses are plastic?
when i took the light switch facing off there is one grey wire as mentioned above connected to it i cannot see any other wires attched anywhere i.e red and black

Only one grey wire at the switch?
There must be another wire?
Another grey wire?

You need an earth to the metal fitting. If there isn't an earth wire present you can't fit a metal light fitting.

When you connected the single grey to the live of the light you said the light only stayed on for two seconds.
Then what happened?
Did you try it again?

Sponsored Links
It seems you don't have an earth in your lighting circuit so you should get a plastic fitting or put the old ceiling rose back, at least while you are working out which wires are which.

Having a look inside another ceiling rose in the house may be helpful.

we really need photo's to diagnose these kind of things.. or much better descriptions..

this "seperate grey".. what colour is it really? is it actually grey or dies it have and inner sleeve of red or black..? ( since you mention red and black then it's doubtfull it's a core from a new 3C+E )

if you cannot manage a photo, then a sketch done with MSPaint will help..

is this by chance a bathroom light you're changing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back