Fitting metal ceiling rose light fitting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. I have brought a light fitting with a metal ceiling rose. The cables coming out of the ceiling are 2 black with copper unsheathed wire coming out of grey sheath and one red wire coming out of grey sheath. am I right in thinking the 2 blacks are live the unsheathed are earth and the red is neutral??
Next my light fitting has a red which is live? blue which is neutral? and green/yellow which is earthed?

I've got a connection block sorted but I've been reading that the rose being metal needs to be earthed. does that mean I connect the green yellow with the two unsheathed cables or does it mean I actually connect the earth to the ceiling rose?? can anyone shead some light on the situation? (terrible pun i know)

Sponsored Links
hi. I have brought a light fitting with a metal ceiling rose. The cables coming out of the ceiling are 2 black with copper unsheathed wire coming out of grey sheath and one red wire coming out of grey sheath. am I right in thinking the 2 blacks are live the unsheathed are earth and the red is neutral??
Next my light fitting has a red which is live? blue which is neutral? and green/yellow which is earthed?

I've got a connection block sorted but I've been reading that the rose being metal needs to be earthed. does that mean I connect the green yellow with the two unsheathed cables or does it mean I actually connect the earth to the ceiling rose?? can anyone shead some light on the situation? (terrible pun i know)

I think a picture of the wiring from the ceiling will clarify what you mean.

How are(were) those cables connected in the existing light?

Do make a note BEFORE you disconnect anything!

The two blacks will be neutral. The red will be live.

The new light fitting will need earthing if it isnt double insulated. It will say so in the instructions.

Red and blue sounds like an odd combination in the light. Thats two different colour codes. Sure its not brown and blue?

Sponsored Links
The two blacks will be neutral. The red will be live.
I just thought you'd all like to see a photo of Steve....

crystal_ball_LG.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back