help with wiring up a ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i need help changing a ceiling light, ive got 3 lots of wires coming from the ceiling, 3 red to a block, 2 black to a block, 1 switch live, 3 earth to a block.
my problem is that ive tried putting my live from my new light to the switch live and the neutral to the 2 black and it dont work, ive also tried putting the live from the light to the 3 other lives and the light works but the light switch dont.

what am i doing wrong.

cheers danny

Sponsored Links
I take it you can still ID the switch wire ?

The 3 x cable = live in, live out and switched live.

At the light all the neutrals (x2) get connected together + the neutral for the light fitting, the lives get connected together plus the live to switch (x3) then the switched live gets connected to the live of the light fitting.

See wiki for clear diagrams.

If a ceiling rose all the reds go to the central loop.
The two blacks to the neutral terminals
and the switch live to the Live terminal not the the loop.

If a fitting without these terminals
Keep your reds together as they where originally.
Your blacks to neutral side of fitting(blue flex of lamp)
Your switch wire to Live side of fitting(brown flex side)
earths terminated at earth terminal.

cheers chris

ive tried doing what you said, but the light dont switch on, could it be the dimmer switch. and i can id the switch live it has a red sleeve over it

cheers danny

Sponsored Links
What type of light have you installed on the dimmer, some are not compatable with dimmer switches.

You can ID Switch Live, if you have a means to test continuity but it would normally be sleeved as mentioned.
Check nothings come loose at switch and all your terminals are tight in terminal points.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back